Allegheny College is located in Meadville, a county seat that has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Places to Live. Meadville was founded in 1787 by John Mead and the current population is around 13,000 people. Allegheny students can get involved with the community by taking in the beautiful scenery at local parks and gardens, shopping at local boutiques and stores, participating in service activities, eating at delicious local restaurants, attending local entertainment events, and so much more!
Discover Parks and Nature
- Facts about Greendale:
- It’s the final resting place for more than 21,000 people
- The archway was built in 1865 at a cost of only $315
- Notable burials:
- Great place for running and exploring the ravines
- Facts about Greendale:
Grow Meadville – Map of Community Gardens
Learn how to plant produce locally and contribute toward growing a healthier community.
- Different things that happen in Diamond Park from Pop Up Cafes, to summer concerts, the Halloween parade, the Veteran’s Day Parade, and Make a Difference Day (upcoming and previous events from The Meadville Calendar)
- Facts about Diamond Park:
- Diamond Park was a gift from David Mead to the city of Meadville in 1795, and was used by residents in many different ways, including drill practice by the Pennsylvania militia led by Mead
- It eventually became surrounded by churches, government buildings, businesses and residences, many of which are still standing today
- Dating to the early 1900s, the Diamond has retained much of its charm
- Various statues and memorials commemorate different historical moments in Meadville’s past, such as one dating back to the Civil War.
Run, walk, or bike surrounded by nature on this beautiful trail.
Go fishing, hiking, boating, hiking, swimming, camping, picnicking, or just take a nature walk in the park or on the dam.
Visit one of the most important streams in eastern North America to go fishing, wading (when shallow), or paddling.
Bus routes are free for Allegheny College students – just show your Allegheny ID when you get on the bus!
Book a trip with the largest bus network across the U.S.
Discover Entertainment, Recreation, and Arts
The Academy Theatre – Enjoy live productions with local talent at The Academy Theatre!
The Kilted Kiln – Spruce up your creative skills and create a pottery masterpiece here!
The Meadville Area Recreational Complex – Go swimming, ice skating, play soccer, head out on a nature walk and so much more!
The Movies at Meadville – See the latest movies with friends and family!
Plaza Lanes – Bowl with friends and family – cosmic nighttime bowling is also available!
Discover Yearly Special Events
Thurston Classic – Enjoy this hot air balloon event in Meadville! (cancelled this year due to pandemic)
Saturday Community Markets – Come visit this community market to browse items from local vendors and businesses and enjoy local foods, live music, and entertainment on Chestnut Street each 2nd Saturday of the month between May and September. This event is cancelled due to pandemic. A good alternative is that every Saturday the Market House has farmers.
Crawford County Fair – Enjoy carnival food, games, rides, live music, award shows, and tons of animals at the annual Crawford County Fair! (cancelled this year due to pandemic)
Meadville Halloween Parade – Get ready for Halloween with Pennsylvania’s largest nighttime parade with over 100 floats here in Meadville! (potentially cancelled this year due to the pandemic)
Light Up Night – Sing Christmas carols, say hello to Santa as he lights Diamond Park up, and walk around town to enjoy the local shop decorations.
Looking for more events? Browse Meadville Calendar.com