News & Updates

Allegheny Students Connect with Alumni for Valuable Career Advice

After a lifetime in school, college seniors facing the prospect of a first job can find the experience very unsettling.

“Finding a job is difficult and in my experience one of the most important steps toward success comes from constructing a network of people willing to help. Allegheny alumni always seem ready to assist,” said Eric Pallant, Christine Scott Nelson ’73 Endowed Chair in Environmental Science & Sustainability.

Pallant requires students in his Senior Comprehensive Project group to reach out to Allegheny alumni, particularly those with environmental science degrees, for career advice. “One of the salient features of Allegheny students is their overwhelming friendliness and willingness to help,” he said. “Not surprisingly, Allegheny alumni are just the same after graduation. Moreover, alumni remember what it was like to transition from college to a job. When an anxious student finally makes contact with an alum, a new friendship is almost always in the offing.

Eric Pallant
Eric Pallant

“I’ve asked seniors to contact alumni as part of their comping process for as long as I can remember,” Pallant added. “One advantage of having taught at Allegheny as long as I have is that I am in touch with alumni doing all kinds of environmental goodness all over the world. I love matching successful alumni with students who in just a few short years I will be calling upon to do the same for a new crop of seniors.”

Jim Fitch II, Allegheny’s director of career education, said he tells students and recent graduates that 80 to 85 percent of people find jobs today through some form of personal contact. To that end, Career Education has identified 253 of the 1,375 employers who post jobs at Allegheny College as alumni connected, he said.

“As part of the application process for jobs with those organizations, we encourage students to reach out to the alumni to learn about their experiences with the businesses and to ask for advice and suggestions about how to best tailor their application materials,” said Fitch. “We’ve tried to make it very easy for our students who use Handshake to find and identify companies with whom we are connected through our alumni by tagging employers as ‘AC Connected’ when we approve their requests to post jobs, internships and events at Allegheny College. As it happens, we have an alumna who works in the clean-energy industry whose employer just hosted a virtual hiring event. She reached out to us and invited us to promote the event on campus. This type of promotion is only successful through partnerships with faculty.”

Through Handshake and LinkedIn, Allegheny Career Education has been able to connect students with more than 1,000 alumni who majored in environmental science and sustainability, Fitch said. “Connecting with the students allows us to learn about their interests and the specific skills that they would like to exercise in the workplace. This helps us better identify alumni who may be most helpful to them,” he added.

Margo Beck, a senior from McLean, Virginia, is an environmental science major and global health studies minor. “Over the past few years, I have contacted numerous alumni. I have either spoken to or been in email correspondence with them,” said Beck. “I am currently working on contacting a few more alumni to get additional advice. In general, nearly everyone has reassured me that it is OK to not know exactly what I want to do in the future. They have helped me recognize that there is no guaranteed straight path to a career, and that is completely normal. A few alumni have provided me information about various internships and programs available through their employer. I am currently speaking with an alumna and she is helping me find organizations that I could apply to. She also said that she will help me learn how to network.”

Margo Beck

Beck said she has found the advice from alumni to be helpful. “Last year when I spoke with alumni, my goal was to hopefully land an internship. While none of the connections resulted in an internship, the communications were still helpful because they eased my mind. Up until this point, I have been extremely worried about not knowing exactly what I want to do post graduation. Thankfully, the advice from various alumni helped me realize that it is perfectly normal not to have a precise career trajectory in mind at this stage of my education.

“My biggest struggle has been not knowing what career I want,” Beck said. “My tentative plans are to apply to AmeriCorps or the Peace Corps so I can get some rewarding experience under my belt and hopefully figure out what my true passion is. My goal is to work for a few years and then potentially go to graduate school once I know exactly what my interests are.”

Lindsay Blum, a senior from Asheville, North Carolina, said her career goal is to be a farmer “and that isn’t necessarily something I can jump right into after I graduate. I’ve thought of maybe opening a farm-to-table restaurant to bring good food to people, so my next steps are to work on some farms or maybe find some restaurants that do something similar.”

Lindsay Blum

Blum, who is an environmental studies major and French minor, has contacted a couple of alumni with agricultural experience, including a 2020 graduate who is working on a farm in Maine. “I wanted to know how she found that job and any resources she recommended. She gave me some great advice and now I know where to look for some potential farming internships,” Blum said.

She also contacted a 2006 graduate who owns a farm in Bend, Washington, and hopes there might be an opportunity at that facility in 2021. “Any advice is helpful,” said Blum, “especially from Allegheny graduates. It is important to hear from people who have experienced some of the same things I will.”

Claire Collier, a senior from Seabrook, Texas, said she is anxious about finding a job after graduation. She has been in touch with alumni about their work at PULSE Pittsburgh and in Pennsylvania’s state park system. “As of now, my career goals are to find a full-time job that is in the field of my major so that I can build my skills and experience,” said Collier, who is an environmental science major and a geology minor.

Source: Academics, Publications & Research

From Carr Hall to the BBC: Allegheny College Student-Faculty Research Featured on International Stage

Kylie Wirebach’s research while an Allegheny College student transported her to forests near campus, the heights of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and, now, to the international stage of the British Broadcasting Corp.

Kylie Wirebach '20 holding her acceptance letter to graduate school at SUNY Buffalo State.
Kylie Wirebach ’20 holds her acceptance letter to graduate school at SUNY Buffalo State College.

Wirebach, Allegheny Class of 2020, was interviewed for the BBC Future story “The Return of Europe’s Largest Beasts,” published in September. She provided insights to journalist Jessica Bateman about the viability of land in central and eastern Europe for supporting bison herds.

Bateman reached out to Wirebach after learning of an article in the International Journal of Geographical Information Science by Wirebach and fellow Allegheny researchers.

“It was pretty out-of-the-blue for us,” Wirebach said of the interview request. “(Bateman) said she was writing an article about the reintroduction of the European bison in Germany specifically and saw that our recent paper included Germany in our analysis.”

That paper, “Reintroduction of the European Bison (Bison bonasus) in Central-Eastern Europe: a Case Study,” was co-authored by Wirebach; Cathlin Lord, Class of 2020; Jennifer Tompkins, Class of 2018; environmental science and sustainability professor Casey Bradshaw-Wilson, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) instructor/lab manager Christopher Shaffer.

The article’s research began with a project by Lord, Tompkins, and Wirebach in a Conservation GIS class co-taught by Bradshaw-Wilson and Shaffer. Working in teams, students chose a species of concern somewhere in the world, finding potential real-world areas where the species could be reintroduced.

“Jenny (Tompkins) pitched the idea (of European bison) because she had learned about the large mammal’s troubled conservation history while she was studying abroad in Europe,” said Wirebach, who double majored in biology and environmental science.

Geographic Information Systems lab in Carr Hall at Allegheny College
The Geographic Information Systems lab in Carr Hall

Thanks to intensive management, European bison are making a comeback after nearly going extinct in the 1900s, Wirebach added. Using GIS “smart mapping” techniques that integrate many types of data, the researchers identified regions large enough to accommodate a new herd. That’s important because the bison can serve as “ecosystem engineers” in swaths of rural (formerly agricultural) areas in Europe being reclaimed by nature, Wirebach said.

But the end of the Conservation GIS class was just the beginning of the project’s reach. Lord, Tompkins, and Wirebach subsequently presented their findings at several conferences, including the Esri User Conference that gathers leading GIS professionals. Working with Bradshaw-Wilson and Shaffer as coauthors, the students published the article in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Geographical Information Science.

Christopher Shaffer, Allegheny GIS instructor/lab manager
Christopher Shaffer, Allegheny GIS lab manager/instructor

Shaffer, who also participated in the BBC interview, worked with Lord, Tompkins, and Wirebach in their roles as GIS teaching and research assistants. “I couldn’t ask for better students,” Shaffer said. “They helped me tremendously by answering questions from students and assisting other faculty with research projects that involved GIS and mapping approaches.”

Shaffer said that the GIS Laboratory in Carr Hall is used by academic departments across the Allegheny campus, including biology, environmental science, geology, and political science. “We need some sort of technology to help us think about the world around us,” he said. “It just makes perfect sense to integrate that technology into research questions.”

Wirebach said her research and GIS experience at Allegheny helped her to secure a graduate assistantship at SUNY Buffalo State College, where she is pursuing a master’s degree in biology. She is focusing her research on ecology and biogeography.

“Almost every (Allegheny environmental science) class I took involved a real project with a real stakeholder in the Meadville community, including the Foundation for Sustainable Forests, the French Creek Valley Conservancy, the Erie Green New Deal Coalition, and others,” she said. “As students, we often had a hand in designing the key aspects of the project, collecting the data or crafting the product, and then writing about the process for a report at the end.”

Wirebach also participated in the National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program, conducting research at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory. That experience led to her Senior Project at Allegheny, “Mapping the potential paths for the range shifts of Colorado caddisflies (Trichoptera) under climate change.”

Like the project that led to the BBC interview, Wirebach’s thesis at Buffalo State is focused on habitat suitability analysis for reintroduction. This time, she is using GIS and historical records to investigate the availability of suitable habitat for lake sturgeon in the tributaries of Lake Erie.

“Now that I’m in graduate school, I often reflect with relief on how well Allegheny prepared me for it,” Wirebach said.

Varied Interests Make Allegheny College a Good Fit for First-Year Student

She’s an avid gardener and spends her summers working in a plant nursery. She earned her Girl Scouts Gold Award in 2019 and is still involved in scouting. She plays the violin. As a junior at Bethel Park High School, her weighted GPA was 4.438. Her academic interests are in political science and environmental science. And she’s considering a career in law.

Claudia Huber
Claudia Huber

Claudia Huber, a first-year student at Allegheny College, is a young woman with many interests, and she says she has found the perfect place to explore them all.

“It wasn’t a matter of one thing in particular that made the choice of Allegheny so thought provoking, but rather having to find a place where I set up my next seven years,” Huber says. “I have been thinking about law school since freshman year of high school, and Allegheny’s ability to prepare me for law school was one of its qualities that I could not pass up. I truly felt a sense of belonging at Allegheny when I toured and met with faculty, and it was just all around the right choice for me.”

Huber says a hybrid learning environment has not slowed her academic and extracurricular progress at Allegheny. She spent the first month of the fall 2020 semester on campus, and then Huber and her family decided that for personal reasons she would finish the semester studying remotely from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania. She plans to return to campus for the spring 2021 semester.

“I can’t even begin to explain how welcoming the entire community has been,” says Huber. “While the transition into college life is hard enough as it is, the stress of the pandemic has proven to add to some of the challenges. Comparably, Allegheny, I believe in regard to online learning, has surpassed the challenges for this semester. Due to personal reasons, I made the transition off campus back to my home to continue the semester remotely. My professors have been completely understanding and helpful while we all are charting this new territory. While I was able to experience the in-person environment for learning, I have been adjusting to being fully remote. The connection with my professors still remains and in some ways has increased.”

In orchestra, for instance, the class is recording its parts individually so that they can combine them all to make a finished project. In her psychology class, students have been taking advantage of smaller group discussions in Zoom breakout sessions, but also engage in discussions as a group. Her small-group first-year seminar is the most discussion based.

The Law and Policy Program as well as political science are Huber’s two main interests so far. “I am excited to move onto law school after Allegheny and enjoy being as educated as I can on all aspects of politics and government. Although I have not declared a major yet, I am passionate about environmental science, and I hope to incorporate it into my academic career at Allegheny,” she says.

Brian Harward, the Robert G. Seddig Chair in Political Science, says that in the short time Huber has been at Allegheny, she’s already contributed to the community in many meaningful ways. “Her curiosity, thoughtfulness, intellectual nimbleness, and willingness to engage others and their ideas enlivens our classes and reminds me how wonderful it is to teach at Allegheny,” says Harward.

“From the first time I met Claudia at her high school last fall, I knew she’d be an outstanding Gator,” says Linda Clune, senior associate director of admissions.

Huber’s goals as an Allegheny student are to achieve the best that she can academically. “I am still so new in this journey, but I am optimistic that in the next four years I will push myself to new academic limits, make connections that last a lifetime, and propel myself onto law school. I am passionate about giving back and making change. I know right now that I would like to stay located in my hometown when I consider a career, but I am open to wherever life and Allegheny take me,” she says.

Allegheny Welcomes New Faculty for Fall 2020

It’s quite the fusion of talents joining the ranks of Allegheny College’s faculty in the fall of 2020. From scholars in modern Arabic literature and French and Francophone studies to a former economic analyst for a global banking firm, Allegheny’s new faculty members bring unique backgrounds and qualities to the campus classrooms this academic year. Let’s meet each of them briefly:

Sami Alkyam
Assistant Professor of Arabic

With Sami Alkyam, Allegheny is not only welcoming an assistant professor in the Department of World Cultures and Languages, but also a new director of Muslim student life.

Sami Alkyam
Sami Alkyam

Alkyam holds a Ph.D. in Arabic language and literature as well as a doctoral minor in second language acquisition from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He will teach Arabic language and culture classes and core classes in international studies at Allegheny. He previously worked at Harvard University from 2012 to 2018.

His research interests include modern Arabic literature and cultural studies; gender and sexuality studies; trauma and the war novel; Arabic dictator novels; film and television studies; Postcolonial and literary theory; Arabic literary translation, and African literature in translation.

“In my current research I explore the manifestations of dictators and dictatorships in contemporary literary genres — the representation of its various configurations and the politics of (re)writing history. Currently, I am working on a manuscript in which I study the aesthetics of death in contemporary Iraqi literature. More than any time in the history of modern Iraq, poetry and fiction have been bound to social and political events in Iraq. Iraqi literature today reflects the trauma of a nation torn between omnipresent war and reminiscence of three decades of dictatorship,” he says.

“As such, I describe Iraqi writers today as ‘bereaved storytellers’ who give voice to the wounds of their nation and people. I will finish the manuscript in the next two years,” Alkyam adds.

His work has appeared in the Journal of Postcolonial Studies, Journal of Literature and Trauma Studies, Journal of Arts and Humanities and Journal of Studies in Literature and Language. He also works on literary translation.

“I am a true believer of diversity; in fact, I am especially drawn to Allegheny given its vibrant and diverse community and the emphasis on internationalism and interculturalism as well as my department’s commitment to teaching languages. In the classroom, I view teaching, not as a career or task, rather as a passion. It is this passion that pushes me to teach Arabic language and literature in the clearest and most effective manner,” he says.

“I believe in making my class a changing experience for my students. Therefore, I see myself as a facilitator of student communication, rather than the center of the classroom. My main goal is to empower my students to engage while providing a classroom environment conducive to productive communication,” says Alkyam.

Away from academia, he is the father of two “beautiful kids: a girl, Uswah, and a boy, Karam, who are the center of my world. I like to play soccer; I like swimming and reading, too.”

Megan Bertholomey
Assistant Professor of Psychology

Megan Bertholomey knows a lot about small liberal arts colleges such as Allegheny. She is a graduate of Knox College, where she was a studio art major and psychology minor. “My medium was clay. Other than the commercial pottery painting classes, there usually aren’t many public resources/studio spaces for ceramicists, so I look forward to making friends in the Art Department and hope to one day collaborate or audit a class with them,” she says.

Megan Bertholomey

Bertholomey also served as both a teaching assistant and an instructor in introductory psychology classes during her Ph.D. training at Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis. She taught a course called “Drugs and Behavior” at the University of Pittsburgh for three fall semesters during her postdoctoral training. Last year, she was a visiting assistant professor at Chatham University, covering graduate-level introductory neuroscience courses with labs, as well as an undergraduate-level introductory biology class.

Her research interests include understanding the factors contributing to and mechanisms underlying the risk of drug abuse and other conditions like anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder that tend to co-occur with substance use disorder. “One major and well-known contributing factor is stress, but there is still much we don’t know about how stress affects the brain to lead to or exacerbate these disorders,” she says.”Because of my research experience, I’m very interested in teaching neuroscience and psychology topics related to drug use and abuse, psychopharmacology, neuroendocrinology, sexuality/sexual behavior, learning and memory, research methods and statistics.”

She says that “while most of my artistic talents have gone into making research posters and PowerPoints, I do like to paint and draw when I can. I was also a member of the dance collective when I was in college — mine was called Terpsichore — so a similar Greek naming convention to Orchesis — and love to dance, although I don’t have much formal training.”

She also considers herself “to be a bit of a foodie and a craft beer aficionado, so I love to cook and plan to eventually try my hand at home brewing using one of the many kits that have been gifted to me over the years. I am also a reservoir of random knowledge that comes in very handy for trivia — especially music trivia, as well as pop culture references from the ’90s and ’00s.”

Delia Byrnes
Visiting Assistant Professor of Environmental Science & Sustainability

Delia Byrnes joins the Allegheny community by way of Canada, where she was raised, and the University of Texas at Austin, where she studied and eventually taught in the English Department.

Delia Byrnes
Delia Byrnes

“I’m joining the Environmental Science and Sustainability program at Allegheny through a somewhat unusual route: I’m not even a scientist! Rather, my Ph.D. in English and my experiences teaching literature inform the humanities approaches I bring to environmental studies,” says Byrnes. “Over the past four years, I’ve taught courses on oil culture, apocalyptic fiction and film, African American literature, and multi-ethnic environmental culture at the University of Texas at Austin. I’m thrilled to join such a rich interdisciplinary community at Allegheny, and I’m especially excited to collaborate with students on projects that center environmental justice.”

Byrnes earned her bachelor’s degree from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia and her master’s and doctorate from the University of Texas.

She focuses her research on contemporary environmental art and storytelling, focusing on how writers, artists and other mediamakers harness their imaginations to produce new knowledge about environmental relations. “I’m especially interested in the ways that fossil fuel shapes our daily lives, and how Black, Indigenous, and People of Color authors illuminate more just and habitable futures,” says Byrnes.

When she’s not in her Carr Hall office, Byrnes says she is a movie and television fan “and will find any opportunity to teach my favorites, from the FX series ‘Atlanta’ to Janelle Monáe’s Afrofuturist epic, ‘Dirty Computer.’ When I’m not reading or watching something, I love wandering around town on foot or on my bike, and as a Canadian, I am beyond excited to experience the four seasons in Meadville!”

The most consistent part of her time in Meadville so far: “My weekly visits to Hank’s Frozen Custard.”

Priyanka Chakraborty
Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics

It has been quite a year for Priyanka Chakraborty. She graduated from Southern Methodist University with her Ph.D., won the Melody Rice Memorial Award for her dissertation “Essays on Issues in Management and Gender” and “was truly excited to travel cross country from Texas to Pennsylvania and join the Allegheny family!”

Priyanka Chakraborty
Priyanka Chakraborty

It has been quite an academic journey for Chakraborty. Reading Keynes in college had a powerful impact on her and shaped the course of her passion for and career in economics. “I grew up in India and attained a college education through scholarships based on academic achievement,” she says. “I majored in economics at Presidency College and won the Gold Medal from Calcutta University. I explored New Delhi, jazz and micro and macroeconomics during my master’s at Jawaharlal Nehru University and read obsessively on game theory and behavioral economics, which I still do.”

She worked closely with counterparts from Great Britain for HSBC Bank as an economic analyst for a couple of years before traveling to Texas to attend the doctoral program at Southern Methodist University. “I taught classes independently, worked extensively as a teaching assistant and as a tutor and student counselor. The experiences during my academic and professional career gave me an immense appreciation of cross-cultural understanding and helped hone my teaching pedagogy which is geared toward creating an inclusive class environment and facilitating learning through discussion,” she says.

As an applied economist, she uses laboratory and field experiments, as well as survey data, to answer questions in behavioral and labor economics, with a focus on gender, education, management, leadership and mentoring. “My mantra is: ‘When it comes to understanding and changing human behavior, we can do better.’ My research broadly focuses on the economics of discrimination and disparities in the labor market with an overarching goal of understanding and mitigating gender and racial gaps. I am interested in finding policy interventions that promote healthy, efficient and more inclusive workplaces,” she says.

She has traveled extensively, exploring new cities and local cultures, food, films and music. “My favorite cities in the world so far are Jaipur, Boulder, Ann Arbor, Mexico City, Antigua, Kuala Lumpur and Alexandria,” says Chakraborty. “I love finding new coffee shops, record stores, bookshops and theatres. I am a cinephile, adore the works of Satyajit Ray, Wes Anderson and Alejandro Jodorowsky, and have enjoyed working with the South Asian Film Festival and Oak Cliff Film Festival in Texas. Being an epicure, I love creating fusion food and bakes with Asian and American influences.”

While she has been classically trained in Hindustani music, “I enjoy listening to Ella Fitzgerald as much as Ravi Shankar, and among my most-prized possessions are autographed Jimi Hendrix and Ravi Shankar vinyl records straight from the ’60s!”

Emma Chebinou
Visiting Assistant Professor of French

Emma Chebinou is welcomed into the World Languages and Cultures Department as a well-traveled scholar and is thrilled to collaborate with new faculty and students. Her education began in France, where she received her bachelor’s degree from the Université Paris XII- Créteil, and then her first master’s degree from the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle in Paris. Chebinou then came to the United States, where she earned her second master’s degree from the University of South Florida and then her Ph.D. from Florida State University.

As a new faculty member of the Diversity Teaching Fellowship, Chebinou is dedicated to sharing her diverse and multi-layered experience through the curriculum. She hopes that by teaching diversity-related topics, students will be in a position to be aware of their identities as well as others’ differences, which leads to not only their achievements but also to the expansion of their horizons. This approach will lead them to acquire cultural competency to interpret the world and its sophisticated facets.

“I see the classroom as a safe space to exchange knowledge,” says Chebinou. “Besides the fact of seeing excitement on the students’ faces when they understand concepts, I look forward to learning from them, which informs my research and personal life. This couldn’t be done without our students’ insightful ideas.”

During this current pandemic, Chebinou’s main goal is to maintain the human dimension in her classes.

“I want to turn the new COVID adjustments in class into a positive asset rather than obstacles to teaching and learning,” says Chebinou. “Technology has always made the classroom more appealing, and the Zoom implementation is beneficial in helping me create and explore a new teaching approach.”

Chebinou’s academic interests are wide-ranging, from societal issues such as urban problems, violence, discrimination and freedom and civil rights, to hip-hop and stand-up comedy, to African (North and Sub-Saharan) and Caribbean literature. She also has research interests in French national ethnic, gender and religious identity; second- and third-generation of immigrants and diaspora in literature; 20th- and 21st-century French and Francophone studies; Postcolonial studies and African-American studies.

Her hobbies are as varied as her academic pursuits. Chebinou enjoys singing old and contemporary rhythm and blues and Gospel songs, and she has sung in gospel choirs. Her talents extend into the culinary world, as she likes to cook African and French food and is especially good at making crepes. “Coming from France, I love designer fashion,” shares Chebinou. “I am such a shoe collector that I would need an entire room to fit them all! I also like discussions about astrology and Feng Shui.”

Dara Coleby Delgado
Assistant Professor of Religious Studies

Dara Coleby Delgado joins Allegheny’s Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies as an asset for fostering global perspectives in the classroom.

Dara Coleby Delgado

“My objective as a teacher is to foster a student-focused learning environment that both challenges and motivates students to develop their own learning interests and critical thinking skills,” says Delgado. “Specifically, through trusting student-teacher relationships and safe learning-centered classrooms, I see myself as partnering with my students as they develop into independent globally minded scholars. Ultimately, the goal is to explore how religion challenges us to think critically about the human experience, with particular attention to the Christian traditions and their impact on history and culture.”

An AAUW 2018-2019 American Dissertation Fellow, Delgado’s research interests include the history and theology of American Christianity (Pentecostalism), as well as the role of race, gender and popular culture in American religion during the modern era. These interests culminated in her dissertation, “Life, Liberty, and the Practicality of Holiness: A Social Historical Examination of the Life and Work of Ida Bell Robinson.”

Before joining the faculty at Allegheny, Delgado completed a bachelor’s degree at Niagara University in history, a master’s at Northeastern Seminary, a Master of Theological Studies at Tyndale University College & Seminary, and a Ph.D. at the University of Dayton in theology. At the University of Dayton, she taught traditional undergraduate students in the Department of Religious Studies and then taught New Testament and Ethics in the Department of Religion and Philosophy at Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester, New York.

“When I am not teaching and writing, I am enjoying the company of friends and family, volunteering, and attending concerts and shows,” says Delgado.

Guadalupe Lupita Gonzalez
Assistant Professor of Psychology

Guadalupe Lupita Gonzalez brings experience in cognitive neuroscience with her to Allegheny. She received her bachelor’s degree in psychology and business administration from Bethel College and a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Texas at Austin. She also has instructional experience from leading psychology labs at Bethel.

Guadalupe Lupita Gonzalez

Gonzalez has a passion for social justice and increasing diversity in higher education which has driven her research into the effects of social contexts on racial biases in socio-cognitive processes (for eaxmple, attention, interaction intentions).

“I use electroencephalography (EEG/ERPs) and eye-tracking to answer questions such as ‘How does the social context influence the perception of racial outgroups?’ and ‘How is the perception of racial outgroups associated with racially biased behavior?’” says Gonzalez. “My current research uses eye-tracking to investigate how competitive social contexts influence attention and memory for racial in-group and out-group members, as well as one’s willingness to interact with racial out-groups. I’m also interested in racial health disparities.”

In addition to her research, Gonzalez has been involved in different organizations and programs that aim to increase the number of minoritized individuals in higher education.

“I also love to read, cook (especially Mexican food) and travel to Mexico,” she says. “Spanish was also my first language so I can fluently speak, read and write in Spanish.”

Gonzales is musically gifted as well — she used to play the violin and also played in a mariachi during middle school and high school.

Chris Normile
Assistant Professor of Psychology

Chris Normile is joining the ranks of first-generation faculty members at Allegheny. He completed his bachelor’s degree in psychology at Bloomsburg University, master’s degree in experimental psychology at Towson University, and Ph.D. in applied experimental psychology at Central Michigan University.

Chris Normile

“My research focuses on the intersection of psychology and law,” Normile says. “More specifically I have studied police interrogations, false confessions and jury decision-making. My most recent work investigates people’s perceptions of wrongfully convicted exonerees. Pedagogically speaking, I’m interested in statistical learning in college students.”

Although Normile thoroughly enjoys research and teaching, he has a variety of other interests outside of the classroom.

“I’m a big fan of playing board games of all kinds, from silly party games to more complex Eurogames,” says Normile. “As an undergraduate I played club Ultimate Frisbee, which is a hobby I still enjoy today.”

Jesse Swann-Quinn
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science and Sustainability

Jesse Swann-Quinn grew up in an Allegheny Gator family — his mom and uncle both graduated from the College. Now, after earning a Ph.D. in geography from Syracuse University, Swann-Quinn has joined the Allegheny community as a faculty member in the Department of Environmental Science and Sustainability.

Jesse Swann-Quinn

Before entering graduate school, Swann-Quinn spent five years producing wildlife documentaries for National Geographic Television, and he served as a Public Humanities Fellow with the New York Council for the Humanities. Swann-Quinn says he draws on these transdisciplinary experiences in both his research and teaching.

Swann-Quinn taught at Syracuse as a graduate student and adjunct faculty member. His teaching focuses on the social science of global environmental politics, economics and culture, but it also incorporates elements of the digital and environmental humanities.

Swann-Quinn’s interests as a geographer center on environmental politics of natural resources, how humans struggle over and govern the environments around them, and a variety of other related topics in the environmental social sciences. “My research specifically examines the political and environmental effects of resource extraction, primarily focused on the former Soviet Union and South Caucasus,” Swann-Quinn says. He also has ongoing interests in urban environments, environmental justice, resource nationalism, animal studies, territorial conflict and media studies.

“When I’m not in the classroom or doing research, I like to be outside as much as possible, hiking and running when the weather’s warm and cross-country skiing when it isn’t,” Swann-Quinn says. He says he also enjoys “getting lost in old atlases” and following technology trends.

“My wife and I also just had our first child last winter,” Swann-Quinn says, “which has kept us extra busy these past few months (and made quarantine life that much more interesting).”

PJ Torres
Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology

While new to the Allegheny community, PJ Torres brings experience teaching at another Great Lakes Colleges Association institution, Denison University.

PJ Torres

At Denison, Torres served as a Consortium for Faculty Diversity fellow in 2015 and then as a visiting biology faculty member until spring 2018. His career has also included faculty positions in the biology departments at Queens University of Charlotte and, most recently, Colgate University. Torres holds a bachelor’s degree in environmental science from the University of Puerto Rico (Rio Piedras campus) and a Ph.D. in ecology from the Odum School of Ecology at the University of Georgia.

Torres’ research focuses on understanding the structure and function of freshwater ecosystems with emphasis on tropical headwater streams. His dissertation and current research is based on Puerto Rico, assessing the landscape-scale effects of large dams on headwater stream ecosystem processes.

“I’ve also worked with students in Costa Rica, Georgia and Ohio looking at how animal consumers influence whole-ecosystem processes such as decomposition, primary production and nutrient cycling. The current plan for my lab here at Allegheny is to continue this work both in Puerto Rico and locally using new study sites in Northwest Pennsylvania.”

Torres also plans to incorporate microorganisms and time into current and new projects. “In particular, we will be looking at synergies between aquatic fungi and animal decomposers, how their relationship determines the rate of organic matter breakdown, how the decomposition mechanisms change over time and how these respond to natural disturbance and seasonal variation.”

As an active member of the Society for Freshwater Science, Torres serves as an early career delegate on the board of directors and helps to coordinate the INSTARS program. INSTARS is a mentoring program during the Society for Freshwater Science annual meeting that provides help to undergraduate students from underrepresented groups who are interested in the study of freshwaters.

In his spare time, Torres enjoys fixing (“or breaking,” he says) stuff around the house, and he cooks most of his food over fire or charcoal. Torres also has played drums in three bands and can be found road-trip-chasing locally owned BBQ spots, limited-release beers and new baseball stadiums.

“I’m a big fan of advanced metrics and statistics in baseball,” says Torres, “and do a bit of work as a volunteer data analyst for CS:GO and Valorant eSports teams.”

Allegheny’s Carrden Is Still Flourishing Despite Fewer Gardeners

During a normal summer on the Allegheny College campus, work-study students would be busily tending to the lush and productive organic garden adjacent to Carr Hall, known as the Carrden. But in summer 2020 — with almost no students on campus — the daily tasks of pruning, weeding and harvesting have fallen on Kerstin Ams, the garden manager.

Kerstin Ams: The Carrden manager.
Kerstin Ams: The Carrden manager.

“It’s been mostly me,” says Ams, “although there have been a few guest volunteer appearances from a few faculty and staff. Overall, it’s been a quiet summer.”

As usual, there is a variety of vegetables and fruits, from tomatoes and peppers to watermelon and celery. Students in Ams’ Small-scale Production Agriculture (ENVSC 240) class last fall chose each of the crops and varieties to grow this summer based on a range of factors, including the northwest Pennsylvania climate, crop rotation needs, interest from dining-services provider Parkhurst and the needs of the Mobile Market last year.

“I did make a few changes early this summer so that some of the crops would be easier to maintain and harvest by one person instead of our usual crew of students, but for the most part, what you see in the garden was planned by the students,” says Ams.

There aren’t any crops new to the garden this year, says Ams, “but we haven’t grown leeks in about six years, so that is a returning ‘new’ one. Mostly we have new varieties of the same crops — we have a corn variety called Striped Japonica that has bright pink stripes in the leaves; two different ground cherry varieties, and a sunflower called ‘Teddy Bear’ that’s just starting to bloom with fuzzy-looking yellow petals.”

Although it’s still early in the harvesting season, Ams has been gathering garlic and carrots, as well as raspberries, and as late July rolls around, the jalapeno peppers are starting to pop. Also, it’s been a relatively hot and dry season in Meadville so far, and that has helped the heat-loving crops like eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and squash. “We use drip irrigation on some beds, so that helps with watering when needed. Overall it’s been pretty good,” says Ams.

Organic carrots harvested from Allegheny's Carrden.
Organic carrots harvested from Allegheny’s Carrden.

Most of the harvest is going to Parkhurst. “They are still making meals for the remaining students on campus and have provided boxed lunches for some of the staff. I’ve also explored a few options for donating produce in town if we have more than Parkhurst can use,” says Ams. “Some of the last-minute adjustments I made to the crop plan also included pushing some planting further into the summer so that more of the harvest would come in August and September this year,” when students are anticipated to be back on campus, she says.

“The spontaneity of Kerstin’s produce is sometimes the highlight of my day at Allegheny,” says Charles Wise, Parkhurst’s executive chef. “I worked many years in the San Francisco Bay area in restaurants that applauded the diligence and the efforts of our local farmers and gardeners so that we could offer great fresh food to our customers. The students and faculty of Allegheny College should be so proud to have the offerings Kerstin can bring from the garden on a regular basis, season permitting.”

The Mobile Market bus that traditionally brings fresh produce to Meadville residents has been idled this summer and is even undergoing some repairs, Ams says.

A national organization in 2019 certified that produce coming from the Carrden is grown without pesticides and herbicides and meets all organic agriculture standards. Certified Naturally Grown is a national group that offers peer-review certification to farmers and beekeepers producing food for their local communities by working in harmony with nature and without relying on synthetic chemicals or GMOs.

National Radio Program to Spotlight Faculty Research at Allegheny College

The Academic MinuteSix Allegheny College professors will be featured on “The Academic Minute,” a national radio broadcast and podcast that highlights research from colleges and universities throughout the world, beginning on Monday, May 25.

Starting with Monday’s broadcast, five of the professors will “take over” “The Academic Minute” program for the week. Each day, one Allegheny faculty member will discuss their research and important topics in their fields of study, focusing on what’s new and exciting in academia.

“The Academic Minute” is broadcast by WAMC/Northeast Public Radio on 90.3-FM (1400-AM) in Albany, New York, airing weekdays at 7:30 a.m. and 3:56 p.m. The show, which is carried on 70 stations around the United States and Canada, is hosted by Dr. Lynn Pasquerella, president of the Association of American Colleges and Universities. The program is also streamed via the web at academicminute.org. In addition, “The Academic Minute” research profiles of the professors will be featured in the academic trade publication Inside Higher Ed.

“I am thrilled that through the Allegheny College takeover of ‘The Academic Minute,’ NPR listeners will have the chance to be inspired by some of Allegheny’s impressive scholar-teachers, even for a brief moment,” said Allegheny President Hilary L. Link. “As president, I hear from alumni again and again that it is the opportunity to work alongside, to be guided and mentored by, and to learn from the Allegheny faculty that continues to resonate in life-changing ways with our graduates even decades after they leave campus.”

The five Allegheny professors whose research will be featured the week of May 25–29 include:

• Brian Harward, the Robert G. Seddig Chair in Political Science, who will address “Congressional Responsiveness to Presidential Unilateralism” on Monday, May 25
  • Janyl Jumadinova, assistant professor of computer science, will present “A Submersible Robot That Tests Water Quality” on Tuesday, May 26
  • Caryl E. Waggett, associate professor of global health studies, will speak on “Links between Lead Poisoning and Food Insecurity” on Wednesday, May 27
  • Eric Pallant, the Christine Nelson Endowed Chair of the Environmental Science and Sustainability Department, will discuss “There is a Lot to Learn from Sourdough Bread” on Thursday, May 28
  • Shannan Mattiace, professor of political science and international studies, will present her research on “Drug Wars and Criminal Violence in Mexico” on Friday, May 29

In addition to the weeklong takeover by Allegheny faculty, Professor Barbara L. Shaw will share her research at a later date to provide continued exposure for the College. Shaw, who holds the Brett ’65 and Gwendolyn ’64 Elliott Professorship for Interdisciplinary Studies, will speak on “Transforming Knowledge, Building Reimagined Futures.”

“The creative energy and expertise of our faculty fuels and enlivens the learning experience of our students,” said Allegheny Provost and Dean of the College Ron Cole. “This takeover of the Academic Minute is a wonderful cross section that highlights the breadth and depth of the Allegheny faculty and the interdisciplinary nature of our curriculum.”

Added Link: “These six faculty are merely representative of the rigorous scholars and inspiring teachers who are at the core of an Allegheny education. And in a moment of historic global crisis, the world needs creative, engaged and thought leaders like these faculty, who demonstrate the relevance and applicability toward our current challenges of a strong, liberal arts education in a variety of fields.”