The Frederick and Marion Steen Mathematics Scholarship was established in honor of Frederick and Marion Steen by their children.
This prestigious, merit-based scholarship is awarded annually to a full-time student in their junior year who is majoring at Allegheny College in the natural sciences and will partially cover senior year tuition expenses.
According to the terms of the Scholarship, “the recipient should demonstrate the following character:
- strong understanding of and skills in the application of the principles of mathematics
- ability to communicate and enthuse others with the beauty of mathematics
- commitment to put mathematics to purpose in a teaching, engineering, or scientific profession.”
A junior natural sciences major who wishes to be considered for this scholarship should submit their application by email to Professor Lakins (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of the Mathematics Department. Applications should contain the following:
- A letter of interest that addresses the three criteria listed above, and
- A pdf copy of your WebAdvisor transcript.
The deadline for completed applications is April 21, 2021. Applications will be reviewed by the Mathematics department faculty shortly thereafter. Please contact Professor Lakins (email@example.com) if you have questions.