- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
American Sign Language (ASL)
For complete information on ASL study and the application, please visit the ASL page.
Courses in the Arabic language are offered at the beginning (110, 120) and intermediate (215, 225) level. An expanding variety of cultural courses in English are regularly taught as well, including “Introduction to Arab Cultures” (190) and “The Modern Arabic Novel in Translation” (250). Arabic language and cultural study is an integral part of the interdisciplinary Middle East and North African Studies (MENA) minor and the MENA track in the International Studies major. Please see the Academic Bulletin for course listings in the Arabic section and the MENA minor page for related cultural offerings.
Allegheny College offers a minor in Chinese language and instruction in Chinese (in the original language and in translation); please see the “Chinese” section of this Bulletin for details. See also the “Chinese Studies” minor.
Allegheny College offers a minor in German and instruction in the German language; please see the “German” section of this Bulletin for details.
Allegheny College offers a minor in Latin and instruction in the Latin language; please see the “Latin” section of this Bulletin for details and Learning Outcomes. See also the “Classical Studies” minor.
Allegheny College offers a major and minor in Spanish and instruction in the Spanish language; please see the “Spanish” section of this Bulletin for details. See also the “Latin American and Caribbean Studies” minor.
Students interested in taking TESOL should contact instructor Jennifer Franz for more information.
To see the courses offered in this department or program, please use the “Course Search” link from the menu at the right of the Academic Bulletin.
Academic BulletinVisit the Academic Bulletin for information on all majors, minors, and other programs at Allegheny college.
Students learning a foreign language are urged to spend a semester or preferably a year abroad. The College sponsors several distinct study-abroad programs that are open to all qualified Allegheny students and to which Allegheny financial aid may be applied; see the “Study Away” section of this Bulletin for details. The following study-away programs offer instruction in the languages and cultures taught in the World Languages & Cultures department:
- Argentina – Buenos Aires (CIEE-Liberal Arts Program) Language Program-Spanish 225 required
- China (CIEE Programs in Beijing or Shanghai)
- Costa Rica – Atenas (The School for Field Studies Sustainable Development Program)
- Costa Rica – Monteverde (CIEE)
- Ecuador – Quito (Minnesota Studies in International Development Area Studies and Field Placement Program) International Development/Internship Program
- France – Paris (Boston University’s Internship Program) Language/Internship Program
- France-Rennes (CIEE Liberal Arts Program)
- France-Toulouse (CIEE Business & Culture and Language and Culture programs)
- Germany – University of Cologne (Junior year abroad exchange program) Intermediate German proficiency required
- Israel – Arava Institute (Study Abroad Program, Kibbutz Ketura, Israel)
- Jordan – Amman (CIEE Middle East Studies)
- Kenya – Nairobi (Minnesota Studies in International Development Area Studies and Field Placement Program) International Development/Internship Program
- Japan – Tokyo (Keio University International Center) Language program/English content courses
- Mexico – Querétaro (ITESM – Campus Querétaro – Study Abroad Program) Language Program
- Morocco – Ifrane (Study Abroad Program at Al Akhawayn University)
- Senegal – Dakar (Minnesota Studies In International Development) International Development/Internship Program
- Spain – Madrid (CIEE Engineering & Society and Liberal Arts programs)
- Spain – Seville (CIEE programs in Liberal Arts, Advanced Liberal Arts, International Business & Culture, Business & Society, Communications, New Media & Journalism in English, Communications, New Media & Journalism in Spanish.