Academic BulletinVisit the Academic Bulletinfor information on all majors, minors, and other programs at Allegheny college.
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Interdisciplinary Programs
- Latin American & Caribbean
American Sign Language (ASL)
For complete information on ASL study and the application, please visit the ASL page.
Courses in the Arabic language are offered at the beginning (110, 120) and intermediate (215, 225) level. An expanding variety of cultural courses in English are regularly taught as well, including “Introduction to Arab Cultures” (190) and “The Modern Arabic Novel in Translation” (250). Arabic language and cultural study is an integral part of the interdisciplinary Middle East and North African Studies (MENA) minor and the MENA track in the International Studies major. View the MENA minor page for related cultural offerings.
Allegheny College offers a major and minor in French and instruction in the French language.
Allegheny College offers a minor in German and instruction in the German language; please see the “German” section of this Bulletin for details.
Allegheny College offers a many options under the Interdisciplinary Programs.
Latin American & Caribbean Studies
The Latin American and Caribbean Studies minor is an interdisciplinary minor, combining the study of humanities and social sciences related to the region with the study of languages and experience in the region.
Our language programs integrate language and culture at all levels. While practical use of Spanish is essential, language learning in the liberal arts tradition also means deep reflection on the interdependence of language and culture.
Students learning a foreign language are urged to spend a semester or preferably a year abroad. The College sponsors several distinct study-abroad programs that are open to all qualified Allegheny students and to which Allegheny financial aid may be applied; see the “Study Away” section of the Academic Bulletin for details.
The following study-away programs offer instruction in the languages and cultures taught in the World Languages & Cultures department.
- Argentina – Buenos Aires (CIEE-Liberal Arts Program) – Language Program-Spanish 225 required
- Costa Rica – Atenas (The School for Field Studies Sustainable Development Program)
- Costa Rica – Monteverde (CIEE)
- Ecuador – Quito (Minnesota Studies in International Development Area Studies and Field Placement Program) International Development/Internship Program
- France – Paris (Boston University’s Internship Program) -Language/Internship Program
- France-Rennes (CIEE Liberal Arts Program)
- France-Toulouse (CIEE Business & Culture and Language and Culture programs)
- Germany – University of Cologne (Junior year abroad exchange program) -Intermediate German proficiency required
- Israel – Arava Institute (Study Abroad Program, Kibbutz Ketura, Israel)
- Jordan – Amman (CIEE Middle East Studies)
- Kenya – Nairobi (Minnesota Studies in International Development Area Studies and Field Placement Program) – International Development/Internship Program
- Japan – Tokyo (Keio University International Center) -Language program/English content courses
- Mexico – Querétaro (ITESM – Campus Querétaro – Study Abroad Program) – Language Program
- Morocco – Ifrane (Study Abroad Program at Al Akhawayn University)
- Senegal – Dakar (Minnesota Studies In International Development – International Development/Internship Program
- Spain – Madrid (CIEE Engineering & Society and Liberal Arts programs)
- Spain – Seville (CIEE programs in:)