Purpose: The mission of Phi Sigma Iota is to promote international cultures and languages on campus while honoring those who meet academic requirements.
Phi Sigma Iota was founded in 1922 at Allegheny College in Meadville Pennsylvania by Dr. Henry W. Church, members of his department of languages, and advanced students who were meeting to discuss linguistic and literary matters. PSI became a national society when Beta Chapter was established at The Pennsylvania State University in April 1925. Less than a year later, Gamma Chapter at the College of Wooster followed them. With these three chapters as the nucleus of the national organization, the first convention was held in May 1926, at Allegheny College. Today the Society maintains approximately 175 local chapters in the U.S. and at the American University in Paris, France.
President: Joshua Patton, (2017-2018)
Co-Advisor: Barbara Riess, Associate Professor of Modern and Classical Languages
Co-Advisor: Julia Ludewig, Assistant Professor of Modern and Classical Languages