In the event of a fire on campus, take the following action:
- Upon discovering fire, smoke, or an explosion in the building, STAY CALM and activate the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Call 911 then immediately call Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357. Be prepared to give information on location, size and cause of the fire, as well as the injuries.
- Follow posted room/building evacuation routes and account for all occupants of the room. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS AS ELECTRICAL POWER MAY CUT OFF.
- If trapped in a room, retreat and close as many doors as possible between you and the fire. Place cloth material around and under the door to stop smoke from coming in. Signal from windows and use phones/cell phones to advise Public Safety of your location.
- Provide assistance to persons with disabilities to move to the nearest designated Disabled Refuge Area and notify Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357 of any persons with disabilities and their location.
- If forced to travel through the smoke, stay low and breathe shallowly using a shirt or jacket as a filter. Before opening any door, check first to see if it is hot to the touch. If the door feels hot – DO NOT OPEN IT!
- Never re-enter the building once you have evacuated it until instructed to do so by the Meadville Fire Department, Public Safety or other Allegheny College authority.
Remember to R.A.C.E.
R – Remove – Remove yourself from the premises if you are able
A – Activate – Activate the fire alarm
C – Close Doors – Close doors to your room
E – Assist – Assist with the evacuation of others if it is safe to do so