If you are in contact with a student who appears to be in immediate threat to his or her own safety or that of others, call Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357.
Possible Suicide Attempt:
In the event a person expresses suicidal thoughts or attempts suicide:
- Remain calm.
- Do not leave the person alone if you can remain with them safely.
- Contact Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357.
- If weapons are present, leave the area immediately.
- Do not touch any weapons or other items that the person may consider using or has used.
- Show support and empathy to the person without being judgmental.
- Immediately contact Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357.
- Do not touch anything in the area.
- Remain calm and be prepared to give all information possible to Public Safety including your name, phone number, location, name of victim (if known), and other pertinent information.
Refer to a Mental Health Professional at the Counseling Center
- Be caring, firm and straight-forward in your referral.
- Consider calling the Counseling Center at 814-332-4368 from your office or escorting the student to the Counseling Center. After hours, contact Public Safety at 814-332-3357 or Ext. 3357.
Consult with On-Campus Resources
Discuss your concerns about a student with any of the following on campus resources:
- Dean of Students Office: 814-332-4356
- Counseling Center: 814-332-4368
- Winslow Health Center: 814-332-4355