Topo Map Tidbits
· Students are introduced to topographic maps and learn basic map colors, symbols, and lines. They complete worksheets that focus on topographic map symbols and colors and then locate examples of these symbols on topographic maps. Click here for Visual Resource: Reading Contour Lines, Click here for Visual Resource: Common Topo Map Colors and Symbols.
· Students become familiar with topographic map symbols through a fun, bingo-like game using portions of different topographic maps. .
· Students learn how to determine stream order using topographic maps and then use this knowledge to complete worksheets and determine stream order on topographic maps. Click here for Visual Resource file, Leboeuf Creek Key, Elk Creek Key, Little Conneauttee Key, Mackey Run Key, Temple Run Key, Wolf Run Key
· Students learn about contour lines, elevation, and land forms in the context of watershed topography via three-dimensional models and visual aids. They then use this knowledge to complete worksheets and drawings of topographic maps. Click here for Visual Resource, click here for Contour Model Keys.
· Students learn three methods to determine the area of a watershed on a topographic map and then practice these methods on worksheets or using topographic maps. Planimeter Handout and Graph Paper. Watershed Area Calibration Sheet
- Bennyhoof Area DataSheet
- Blacks Corner Area DataSheet
- CamSpr NE2 Area DataSheet
- CamSpr NE Area DataSheet
- McDowell Run Worksheet
- McGuffintown Area DataSheet
- Muddy Creek Tribut Area DataSheet
- TempleRun Trib Area DataSheet
· Students use topographic maps to complete a worksheet focusing on the potential effects of land use in watersheds.
One Hilltop, Three Major Watersheds!
· Students use skills from other Topographic Map Module activities to pinpoint the one hilltop from which runoff flows into three different major Pennsylvania watersheds. Click here for Visual Resource.
Topo Map Explorer
· Students review the major concepts of the Topographic Map Module by navigating through a series of scenarios on a worksheet.
l. GIS Video
· Students are introduced to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by watching an informative video illustrating the various ways GIS can be used
· A worksheet and answer key are provided to evaluate students’ understanding of GIS.
Module Resource Guide Information:
Additional Module Resources
Topographic map Fact Sheets, relevant articles, other teaching resources and information about ordering topographic maps from the US Geologic Survey as well as a list of topo map web sites are included in this section.
General Activity Information
A list of module activities and an explanation of the activity format (layout).
Specific to the topographic map theme, these activities include all the necessary background information for teachers to pick up the activity and do the lesson in their classrooms.
Topo Map Basics
USGS Topographic Maps Home Pages