- The Blair Hanson Scholarship is awarded each spring semester to an outstanding foreign language student to help defray the expenses of study abroad.
- The Arman Kalfayan Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually to a student majoring in one of the modern languages. Professor Kalfayan taught French at Allegheny from 1927 until his untimely death in 1954. Consideration is based on superior academic performance and demonstrated financial need.
- For direct advice and hands-on help navigating the requirements for these National Fellowships contact Patrick Jackson, Ph.D., National Fellowships Advisor – The Allegheny Gateway, firstname.lastname@example.org, (814) 332-2779
- Fulbright U.S. Student Scholarship Program
- Department of State’s Critical Language Scholarship Program (full cost scholarships for summer immersion study in 13 lesser taught languages)
- US Department of Education Foreign Language & Area Studies Fellowships Program
- Boren Scholarship Awards for International Study
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (for Study Abroad)
Scholarships available to study Intensive Chinese or Japanese with the ALLEX Foundation at Washington University in St. Louis during the summer. The WUSTL-ALLEX Intensive Chinese and Japanese Institute will offer intensive beginning level classes in Japanese and Mandarin Chinese at Washington University in St. Louis for seven weeks in summer. Each class meets for 2 hours per day, 5 days a week for 7 weeks. The course is intensive and requires 3-5 hours of mandatory self-managed study per day. A limited number of scholarships are available to qualified students. Please visit the Institute’s webpagefor more information.
VolunQuest scholarship program — Authentic Spanish Language Immersion and ESL Teaching Opportunity in Isla Mujeres, Mexico. VolunQuest is actively seeking students to intern for The Ministry of Education in Quintana Roo, Mexico as ESL teachers in the public primary schools of Isla Mujeres. Participants complete training in the national curriculum along with ESL teacher training and current teacher observation the first week of their participation. They are then placed with their own classes and constantly supervised, guided and given feedback back by their supervisors. Isla Mujeres is a little piece of paradise just off the coast of Cancun. Its white sandy beaches with turquoise waters and glorious sunsets have attracted a thriving tourist industry. Isleños are warm and welcoming to visitors, but without a working understanding of the English language, many new jobs are beyond their reach. The island is an extremely safe and family-friendly destination, with very low crime rates.
See the Financial Aid Office Scholarship page for more opportunities.
For information on work/study and other campus employment, click here.
The Department usually hires several Office Assistants at the beginning of each academic year. Faculty will often hire Research Assistants as well. For current job postings on campus, click here.