Get Program Information
The Global Education Office can help you review different programs and help you determine which one best fits your needs. That is, in order for us to assist you, you need to know what your goals are for studying abroad, what your financial parameters are, and of course, what country you want to study in. You are responsible for getting all the necessary application and information forms from any independent programs that you may choose.Schedule an appointment with Global Education
Obtain Allegheny Approval to Study Off-Campus
Regardless of whether you are applying to participate in an Allegheny-sponsored program OR an independent program, you must first be approved by your academic advisor and by the Global Education Office. Submit your application to the Global Education Office by 5PM on February 20 for fall programs or by September 20 for spring programs. The Allegheny approval deadline is independent from the application deadline of the particular program you are applying to. If you are approved to study off campus, Global Education will assist you with your host school application. The minimum requirements for Allegheny approval are:
- Applicants must have a 2.75 GPA to be considered for off campus study. Please note some programs may have different GPA requirements.
- Please note that there is an $300 per semester off-campus study fee for independent programs.
- In your statement of purpose please describe how study abroad or U.S.-based off-campus study is related to your major, minor or other clear academic/ professional goals at Allegheny; include why it is important for you to participate in the particular semester you are applying for, and why you cannot accomplish these academic goals on campus. Please make sure you have read the program description on the program homepages before you write your statement so that you are aware of the program structure, goals, philosophy, parameters, and restrictions.
- You must meet the requirements of the program(s) to which you apply (e.g., GPA, language requirement, class standing).
- You must be approved by your academic advisor(s) for the program to which you are applying (if you are double majoring, both advisors will need to approve your plans to study off-campus, therefore, you need two separate approval forms). If you have not declared a major yet, or do not have an advisor in your major yet, you must discuss with the department chair of your intended major how studying off-campus will affect your graduation requirements; the chair must complete the second page of the academic approval form in addition to the approval from completed by your current academic advisor. If you plan to complete a minor on the program, we strongly recommend that you meet with the director of the minor to review program materials.
- It is required that students are in residence at Allegheny during the last semester of study unless you obtain a waiver of the residency requirement.
- You may study off campus for one semester only with Allegheny financial aid. Allegheny aid may not be applied to a second semester except for the following academic year programs: University of Cologne or Keio University. If you decide to stay away for an additional semester without advance approval, you must take the additional semester as a Leave of Absence. This means you do not qualify for any financial aid, and the College will not facilitate the transfer of student loans to the off-campus program.
- If you receive Veteran’s Affairs Benefits, you must speak with the office of Financial Aid regarding a study away experience.
- You must meet the February 20th filing deadline for fall programs or the September 20th filing deadline for all spring programs. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. All decisions by the Admissions Committee are final and not eligible for appeal.
- Applicants on academic or disciplinary probation are ineligible for study away. Applicants who have recently been suspended from Allegheny College or will have just ended a probationary period upon going abroad will be required to show academic or behavior improvement prior to final approval. Please note we reserve the right to review student records in conjunction with the Dean of Student’s office. Our intention is to insure that you adhere to appropriate Allegheny and program standards while away.
A completed application includes:
- Completed Study Away Application Form submitted to the International Programs and Services Office by you (on-line version). This includes an upload of your unofficial transcripts, a statement of purpose and resume.
- Completed Academic Approval Form by your academic advisor(s). Please check with you advisor(s) before the application deadline to make sure that they have completed the required form on your behalf.
If Approved, Attend Mandatory Pre-Departure Meetings
Global Education will hold pre-departure meetings. At the meetings, you will:
- receive application information for your program,
- receive a checklist of things to do prior to departure,
- read materials and participate in activities for EXL 300, the required (one-credit) pre-departure/re-entry course dealing with cross-cultural learning, communication and experiential learning,
- meet other students who will be studying away,
- review travel logistics, including passport and visa information, immunizations, health and safety information.
Get your Passport, Visa (if necessary), and Plane Ticket once you are approved by your host program
Enjoy your semester away!