Get Program Information
The Global Education Office can help you review different programs and help you determine which one best fits your needs. That is, in order for us to assist you, you need to know what your goals are for studying abroad, what your financial parameters are, and of course, what country you want to study in.Schedule an appointment with Global Education
Obtain Allegheny Approval to Study Off-CampusRegardless of whether you are applying to participate in an Allegheny-sponsored program OR an independent program, you must first be approved by your academic advisor and by the Global Education Office. Submit your application to the Global Education Office by 5PM on February 20 for fall programs or by September 20 for spring programs. The Allegheny approval deadline is independent from the application deadline of the particular program you are applying to. If you are approved to study off campus, Global Education will assist you with your host school application.
The minimum requirements for Allegheny approval are:
- 2.75 GPA – Please note some programs may have higher GPA requirements.
- Academic advisor approval from your major advisor(s). If you are double majoring, both advisors will need to complete an approval form. If you have not declared a major yet, or do not have an advisor in your major yet, you must discuss with the department chair of your intended major how studying off-campus will affect your graduation requirements; the chair must complete the second page of the academic approval form in addition to the approval from completed by your current academic advisor. If you plan to complete a minor on the program, we strongly recommend that you meet with the director of the minor to review program materials.
- You cannot be approved to study away if you are on disciplinary or academic probation.
- Your application’s statement of purpose must describe how the study abroad or the U.S.-based off-campus study program is related to your major, minor or other academic/professional goals and why it is important for you to participate in the particular term you are applying for. Read the program description on the program’s website before you write your statement so that you are aware of the program structure, goals, philosophy, parameters, requirements, and restrictions.
A completed application includes:
- Completed Study Away Application Form submitted to the Global Education Office by you (on-line version). This includes:
- Statement of purpose
- Completed Academic Approval Form by your academic advisor(s). It is the student’s responsibility to meet with and discuss their study away plans with their academic advisor(s). Students must request that the advisor complete our Academic Approval Form. Follow up with your advisor(s) before the application deadline to make sure that they have completed the required form on your behalf.
If Approved, Attend Mandatory Pre-Departure Meetings
Global Education will hold pre-departure meetings. At the meetings, you will:
- receive application information for your program,
- receive a checklist of things to do prior to departure,
- meet other students who will be studying away,
- review travel logistics, including passport and visa information, immunizations, health and safety information.
Get your Passport, Visa (if necessary), and Plane Ticket once you are approved by your host program
Enjoy your semester away!
Please note these important policies about studying away with Allegheny:
- There is a $300 per semester off-campus study fee for sponsored programs.
- Note that some programs have specific requirements (e.g., GPA, course prerequisite(s), language requirement, class standing).
- It is required that you are in residence at Allegheny during the last semester of study unless you obtain a waiver of the residency requirement.
- You may study off campus for one semester only with Allegheny institutional financial aid. Allegheny aid may not be applied to a second semester except for the following academic year programs: University of Cologne or Keio University. If you decide to stay away for an additional semester without advance approval, you must take the additional semester as a Leave of Absence. This means you do not qualify for any financial aid, and the College will not facilitate the transfer of student loans to the off-campus program.
- If you receive Veteran’s Affairs Benefits, you must speak with the office of Financial Aid regarding a study away experience.
- You must meet the February 20th filing deadline for fall programs or the September 20th filing deadline for all spring programs. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. All decisions by the Admissions Committee are final and not eligible for appeal.
- Applicants who have recently been suspended from Allegheny College or will have just ended a probationary period upon going abroad will be required to show academic or behavior improvement prior to final approval. Please note we reserve the right to review student records in conjunction with the Dean of Student’s office. Our intention is to insure that you adhere to appropriate Allegheny and program standards while away.