GACC Midwest offers internships for talented students and recent graduates. All internships offer the opportunity to gain work experience in a truly bilingual and bicultural environment, with support from colleagues that can help speed the learning curve of understanding intercultural differences and nuances.
General Requirements for all Internships:
- The minimum duration for internships is nine months for interns requiring J-1 Visa sponsorship and six months for interns that do not require a visa.
The following are the main requirements for all internship positions at GACC Midwest. Interns must also meet the specific requirements for the type of internship for which they are applying.
o High-level proficiency in English and German (unless otherwise noted)
o Strong research and communication skills (verbal and written)
o Excellent computer skills (internet navigation and the entire MS Office Suite)
o High degree of self-initiative
o A great interest in working with an international team and a high level of motivation to help GACC Midwest accomplish its mission
- Applicants without United States citizenship/permanent residency will need a J-1 Visa in order to intern in the U.S. Once you have been accepted into the internship program we will provide you with information on how to apply for a J-1 Visa. All J-1 interns will also receive help to get settled into Chicago.
- For American interns, the internship usually takes place during a semester hiatus from college or upon successful completion of a degree program in order to gain German-American business experience prior to entering the workforce.
- Those interns requiring a visa are responsible for obtaining their own J-1 Visa and covering the associated costs.
- Interns will receive compensation of $1600 USD per month
Clarification of Traineeships vs. Internships for J-1 Visa Applicants:
In addition to internship opportunities, GACC Midwest also offers traineeships to more experienced professionals who are seeking to enhance their careers through international work experience and exposure to American culture. To determine whether you are eligible for an internship or a traineeship under the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, please see the criteria below. If applying for a traineeship, simply follow the same application instructions as for an internship.
Internships are for those applicants who are still currently enrolled in a degree program at a university or equivalent institution outside of the United States or who have already graduated not more than 12 months before the start of their internship. The maximum duration is 12 months.
Traineeships are for those applicants who have already obtained their degree and have a minimum of one year of work experience following graduation outside of the United States. Applicants without a degree who have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the field of interest may also apply. The maximum duration is 18 months.