French Studies Learning Outcomes
A student who successfully completes a minor in French Studies will achieve:
- Advanced intermediate oral and written proficiency in French;
- Understanding of France in historical context;
- Understanding of how artistic and cultural movements have shaped France over time;
- Understanding of some of the contemporary social and political questions affecting France, Europe, and the Francophone world.
The French Studies Minor
Because this minor is interdivisional, students may complete any major to satisfy the College requirement that the major and minor be in different divisions. When appropriate, other courses – for example, courses taken during study abroad – may be substituted for any of the requirements. All substitutions must be approved by a minor coordinator, and students are strongly encouraged to discuss any potential course substitutions prior to enrolling in the course.
French Language Requirement:
- Take at least eight credits of French, including FRNCH 301 - French Society and Culture. (Note: students may need to take additional coursework in French to achieve the needed proficiency to take FRNCH 301, but no more than 12 credits in French language may be counted toward the French Studies minor).
Arts and Culture Requirement:
Take two of the following (at least one of these must be an art history course):
FRNCH 225 - French Language through Communications and Technology
FRNCH 310 - From Romance to Revolution
FRNCH 320 - The Avant-Garde
FRNCH 330 - "The Empire Writes Back"
FRNCH 360 - Stories and Storytelling
FRNCH 370 - Writing and Public Life
Social and Political Contexts Requirement:
Take two of the following:
HIST 109 - Europe in the Age of Modernization and Revolution, 1648-1914
HIST 110 - Europe in the Age of Dictatorship and Democracy, 1914-Present
HIST 157 - History of Modern France, 1789-Present
HIST 306 - Enlightenment and Absolutism
HIST 310 - Europe at the Turn of the Century, 1880-1917
POLSC 226 - Government and Politics of Europe
POLSC 329 - Islam, Migration & Race in Western Europe
POLSC 427 - The European Union