Meet our 2020-21 Language Teaching Assistants!

Ghezlaane Mohammed ~ Arabic

Where do you live? I live in Abu Dhabi, which is the capital of the United Arab Emirates

What is your academic background? I have a BA Education, Department of Arabic Language and Islamic Culture

What do you want people to know about your country?  I want people to know a lot about my country,  language, dress, cuisine, marriage customs, and celebrating holidays …

What do you want to see or learn about in the U.S.?  I would like to visit New York and Hollywood.  I want to learn how people from different cultures live together in peace, how women are regarded in the U.S., and how to be a teacher for my culture when I’m not in classroom.

3 fun facts about me: 

• I love to live in different cultures, travel and live adventures.
  • I do not like to live in hotels when I go on trips to coastal or mountainous areas and even desert areas.
  • I love to try exotic foods.

Runqi Deng ~ Chinese

Where do you live?  Changsha, China

What is your academic background?  This past April I graduated from University of Pittsburgh with a Master degree of Education.I am passionate about language education, psychological education and cross-cultural studies. I also achieved a B.A in Economics.

What do you want people to know about your country? China is not only one of the four ancient civilizations with rich history and culture, but also a rapidly changing developing country. Home to great rivers and mountains, friendly people, flourishing cities, and,of course, Panda. China consists of 56 ethnic groups, each with beautiful culture,dialects,traditions… Generally, I like to describe my country as harmonious, dynamic and transforming.

3 fun facts about me: 

• Languages are my passion. I am learning a third language, hoping to become trilingual fluently.
  • Delicacy food videos are one of my favorite healing methods.
  • I am learning web developments in computer science.I desire to contribute my efforts on languages instruction and learning, and remote learning.

Maxence Nicaise ~ French

Where do you live?
In France I live in Nantes, a really nice city on the west coast of France.

What is your academic background?
I have graduated from a double degree in Law and Applied Foreign Languages at Nantes University.

What do you want to see or learn about in the U.S.?
I came to the United States because I wanted to discover new things such as college life or American politics. I am really ecstatic about being a French TA this year at Allegheny as it is the perfect opportunity to share my experience and learn as much as possible about the american culture in a challenging environment.

Felix Kirchhof ~ German

Where do you live?
Cologne, Germany

What is your academic background?
I got a B.A. in English, Social Sciences and Educational Sciences and I am enrolled in a teacher education program (Master of Education, M.Ed.). In my studies I focus on critical pedagogy, right-wing extremism, antisemitism and critical theory.

What do you want people to know about your country?
Do I consider Germany to be »my« country? I don’t really know. I was born in Cologne and lived here most of my life. I have been to many regions of Germany: Attitudes vary, you can encounter several types of dialects, the cuisine and the humor differs, and – last not but not least – also the beer. So in case of the widespread love for beer in Germany, the process of nation building was successful.

But in general, I would like to encourage everyone to make concrete experiences with German people, society and culture. At best, these experiences offer deeper insights into the contradictory parts of Germany and are not pre-shaped by existing stereotypes and clichés.

3 fun facts about me:

• I was born on June 6 (06.06) – D-Day (okay, a few years later).
  • I got a tattoo on my left foot with the abbreviation for the neighborhood
    I grew up in and its postcode – KV 226.
  • I love doing sports, especially Muay Thai, a martial art from Thailand.