Chemistry Major Study Away Advising Guide

The Global Education Office and the Chemistry Department have compiled the following information for Chemistry majors to assist in planning for a semester of study away. Students should let their Academic Advisor know as soon as possible about their plan to study away so they can help fit this experience into the student’s graduation plan.

Academic Planning Prior to Going Away

Successfully Complete the Following Courses Before Studying Away

In order to be eligible to study away, students in the Chemistry major must successfully complete the following courses at Allegheny prior to studying away:

  • FS-101, FS-102 OR SWS-105 *wording TBD 
  • CHEM 120
  • CHEM 122
  • CHEM 231
  • CHEM 332
  • CHEM 386
  • FSCHEM 201
  • CHEM 584

When should I study away?

It is recommended that students in the Chemistry major should study away in the spring semester of their Junior year. The Chemistry Jr. Seminar is only offered during the fall semester and this recommendation ensures that a student will have completed the majority of coursework for the major prior to the study away semester. Additionally, the Chemistry major requires a two-semester senior project, therefore, students cannot study away in their senior year.

Allegheny’s graduation requirements state that a student’s final 16 semester credit hours before graduation must be taken in academic residence on campus, therefore study away during the second-semester senior year is not allowed without the permission of the Dean’s Exemption Committee.

Plan Around Your Junior Seminar/Senior Project

Since the Junior Seminar for Chemistry majors is only offered on campus in the fall term, students cannot study away in the Fall of their junior year. The Chemistry major senior project is completed in the fall and spring semesters of senior year, therefore students are unable to study away in their senior year.

Courses that Must Be Taken on Campus

The following courses in the Chemistry major cannot be taken during a study away program: 

  • CHEM 584 (Jr. Seminar)
  • CHEM 600 (1st-semester senior project)
  • CHEM 610 (2nd-semester senior project)
  • CHEM 386 (Multi-step synthesis).

How Studying Away Counts Towards the Major

Students in the Chemistry major should focus on completing outstanding intermediate and advanced coursework for the Chemistry major while studying away. Courses that might transfer include: CHEM 222, CHEM 242, CHEM 253, CHEM 345, and CHEM 362.

Students in the Chemistry major can transfer up to 8 credits from approved study away coursework toward major requirements.

Suggested Programs for Chemistry Majors in the Chemistry Department

The following is a highlighted list of sponsored study away programs that have approved coursework for the Chemistry Major: