Please read all the information on this page CAREFULLY before you apply.
The deadline for applying to a Summer 2024 GL Seminar is October 27, 2023.
Eligibility & Enrollment Policies
Student Eligibility Requirements:
- 2.75 GPA
- Good academic standing
- No active disciplinary sanctions (either during application process nor during the Spring 2024 semester)
- Academic advisor approval
- All participants must be enrolled in and complete the Spring 2024 semester at Allegheny.
GL Seminar Admissions Policies:
- GL Seminars have an enrollment cap of 25 students.
- The Global Education office and the Professors who teach the GL Seminar will review student applications.
- The application is competitive and not all qualified applicants may be admitted.
- Programs with low enrollments may be cancelled and students will be notified of this decision in November.
A Completed Application Includes:
- Application Form: The Google form application opened in early August 2023 and is due by 5pm on October 27, 2023.
- Academic Advisor Approval Form: Students must request that their academic advisor complete the GL Seminar Academic Advisor Form by Oct. 27, 2024.
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose/essay is a critical part of your application and weighs heavily in the selection process. You will upload your statement of purpose in the online application. Your personal statement should answer the following:
- Describe why you are interested in this Global Learning Seminar? What are your expectations and what do you hope to gain from it?
- How does this course relate to your academic, professional and/or personal goals?
- How would you imagine incorporating this experience into your Allegheny education upon your return?
GL Seminar Timeline
|GL Seminar application opens||August 1, 2023|
|Students attend a GL Seminar information session||September 2023 (Dates TBD)|
|Students review and understand GL Seminar costs and available financial aid options||By early October 2023|
|Gilman scholarship applications are due (Caution: deadlines are Pacific Time)||
|Application deadline for GL Seminars (NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED)||October 27|
|Admissions notifications sent out.
Non-refundable reservation fee of $1,200 charged to accepted students’ accounts (viewable via the “Nelnet Campus Commerce” link in Self Service
|Deadline to submit Program Confirmation Form and Participation Agreement||November 30|
|Deadline to pay the non-refundable reservation fee. After payment of this fee, expenses will be incurred on the student’s behalf which may be non-recoverable. Students who withdraw after this date may be responsible for charges on top of the non-refundable reservation fee depending upon the nature of agreements between Allegheny College and the GL Seminar travel providers.||November 30|
|Students who did not pay the reservation fee will be removed from the GL Seminar roster.||December 1|
|Students attend mandatory pre-departure orientation and class meetings||throughout Spring 2024 semester|
|Accepted and confirmed students add the course in Self Service. This assumes students otherwise meet the criteria for registration (no holds, has advisor approval, etc.)||early March 2024|
|Remaining GL Seminar charges and pending aid is applied to the students’ accounts (viewable via the “Nelnet Campus Commerce” link in Self Service||mid-March|
|GL Program balance due||March 31|
|Students who have not paid the program fees will be removed from the GL Program roster. Students who voluntarily or involuntarily withdraw from the program are still responsible for non-recoverable expenses, which, this close to the departure date will likely include the full tuition fee.||April 1|
|EL Seminar Departs (TENTATIVE)||May 12, 2024|
|EL Seminar Returns (TENTATIVE)||June 5, 2024|