Kai M. Maries ’23

Seminary Ridge Museum and Education Center, Gettysburg, PA

I interned at the Seminary Ridge Museum and Education Center over the summer of ‘22. I worked on the museum’s digital collection to make the museum available for those who are unable to travel to Gettysburg and researched the list of soldiers who had been treated at the Seminary during its time as a field hospital. During my time in Gettysburg, I went and explored the town and read just some of the hundreds of monuments as I ventured across the Gettysburg National Military Park. All of the museums I visited during my time taught me something different about how to approach the presentation of history and make it an exciting experience for all generations, including the reenactment I was able to attend with the friends I had gained during this adventure! The Seminary gave ample examples of how to reach out and engage with the community around them and provided walking tours and fun informative talks for free to the public, something I took advantage of. The Civil War is something that has held my interest for half my life, and the opportunity to dive fully into the battlefield was amazing. I recommend taking a leap and putting yourself out there for a great opportunity like this to anyone!