Kara Martin ’10

Kara Martin
Obama, Thompson and Murphy Introduce Plan to De-Escalate and End the War in Iraq.

This summer I will be working for Congressman Patrick J. Murphy, a Democrat representative from my home district (PA-08), in the United States Congress in Washington, DC. I came across this opportunity after a friend who graduated from Allegheny last year and lives in DC suggested that I apply for an internship for the representative that her good friend works for, a representative from Connecticut. After interviewing with the offices of both congressmen, I chose to intern with Congressman Murphy, as he is from my own district and will allow me to take part in legislation that is relevant to my own region. This internship will entail attending Congress briefings and hearings, researching legislation, giving tours of the Capitol building, communicating with fellow constituents, and performing other necessary tasks in Rep. Murphy’s office. I will be in Washington from May 15 until August 15, so I will have an entire summer of experience.

Through this internship, I am hoping to gain knowledge of the legislative process in our country, and to be a part of the exciting and changing political climate right now. I am excited to be helping Rep. Murphy push the issues that matter most to my district. I am also very excited to be living in such a great city all summer.