AggreGator searches through all the content owned by and accessible to Allegheny College from a single search box. However, some content from specialized databases may not be indexed in AggreGator. For subject-specific searching, it is best to use a specialized database. Search results will contain books, e-books, videos, and articles from journals, magazines, and newspapers.
Use the table of contents for quick navigation or feel free to scroll through the guide.
Searching for a book title
- Search for a specific book title by using quotation marks around the title.
- Select Book / eBook from the Refine Your Search box located on the left side of the screen.
- The “Advanced Search” function can also be used to locate a book title.
- From the drop down menus, select title AND/OR author.
- When searching for authors, put the last name first.
- Select Books / eBooks in Information Format Type
Researching a topic
- Use keywords related to the topic
- Put quotation marks around a set of words to search for the words as an exact phrase.
- In this example, results will contain the phrase “television programming” somewhere in the text, rather than television and programming alone.
Expanding search results
- To expand results, use similar words with OR (in capitals).
- The search “broadcast OR cable” will return items that contain either word.
- When combining another keyword or phrase with the OR statement, place the parentheses around the group of words using OR.
- In this example, results will contain censorship and broadcast and television OR censorship and cable and television
Refining the search results
- Searches will yield many results.
- Narrow the search results with categories under Refine Your Search.
Accessing the material
- For full text articles or ebooks.
- Click on the link to view the material
- A new tab will open with the full text or a link to the full text.
- A print book will have the call number, location and availability displayed.
- Articles in print journals are located in compact shelving on the lower floor.
- For help with accessing materials in the compact shelves, please stop by the Research Help Desk.
- If a book is not available, use EZBorrow to request it.
- If a book is available only as an ebook and a print copy is desired, use EZBorrow to request it.
- If an article’s text is not available in electronic or print format, use ILLiad to request it.
Using a temporary folder for printing, emailing, and saving to RefWorks
Items in the folder can be formatted in APA, MLA, or Chicago citation styles.
Saving results to RefWorks
For additional help with AggreGator, using a specialized database, or accessing library materials, please make an appointment with a Research Librarian.