Find important dates, including a link to the final exam schedule, on the Academic Calendars.
Make sure your syllabus is complete using the Syllabus Checklist.
Check Canvas Tips for help with Canvas.
- Active Learning Library: allows you to filter by modality, activity time, class size, etc. to find activities that you can quickly integrate into your classes.
- Michelle D. Miller. How to Make Smart Choices About Tech for Your Course. Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Viji Sathy and Kelly A. Hogan. How to Make Your Teaching More Inclusive. Chronicle of Higher Education.
Getting to Know Your Students
One way to begin to build a welcoming classroom environment is to create opportunities for everyone to get to know each other in the first days of the semester, or even before the semester begins. Here are some ideas:
- Create an Introductions slide deck and have each student add a slide. Click here to get a copy of a simple template.
- Use name tents at the start of the semester so everyone can start to learn names.
- Have students write a low-stakes (or no stakes) introductory essay at the start of the semester. For example, this Math Autobiography assignment can be adapted to other disciplines.
- Administer an anonymous Who’s in Class? survey.
- Create opportunities for students to work together during the first days of class. You could use activities connected to the course content or more general icebreakers. See this page for some examples.