As described in Section 7.7 of the Faculty Handbook, faculty can apply for sabbatical or pre-tenure leaves through the Academic Support Committee. Applications for such leaves are due on November 1 of the year prior to the academic year in which the leave is to take place. After this deadline, the committee will review the applications and will share their recommendations with the Provost, who will make the final decisions and will notify faculty. Each applicant will also receive notification of the committee’s recommendation regarding their leave request.
If you plan to request funding for your sabbatical or pre-tenure leave, please complete a separate funding application (see ASC Grant Applications).
Applying for a Sabbatical or Pre-Tenure Leave
1. Complete all sections of the leave application document.
- When you click on the link above, a preview of the application template will open. To make a copy of the template, click on Use Template and a copy will be saved in your Google Drive.
- Rename the document by adding your last name to the end of the document name.
- You will need to submit a pdf version of your application. To create a pdf file from the Google doc application, click File, select Download, and then choose PDF document (.pdf). The pdf file will then download to your computer and can be saved.
2. Submit your application to the Academic Support Committee using this form.
The form will ask you to upload your leave application document (see above) as a PDF file.
3. Ask your chair to submit their letter of support using this form.
- This letter should indicate how the department intends to cover the applicant’s absence.
- Your chair will need to submit a pdf version of their letter. Please direct them to the instructions above if they have questions about how to create the pdf file.
Submitting Your Leave Report
Submit your leave report using this form.
- The form will ask you upload your report as a pdf file.
- Your report should be a 1-2 page summary of your sabbatical/pre-tenure leave goals, activities, challenges, and outcomes. You should also briefly describe how your sabbatical/pre-tenure leave work connects to your professional trajectory, the College, or the broader community.
- Reports should be written for a general audience.
- For fall one-semester leaves, reports are due by March 31. For spring one-semester leaves and for two-semester (fall/spring) leaves, reports are due by October 31.