- Location: USA - Massachusetts (Woods Hole)
- GPA Requirements: 2.75 GPA
- Program Structure: Structured - not direct enrollment
- Application Deadline: February 20 for fall programs and September 20 for spring programs
- Program Term(s): Fall
- Official Website: Semester in Environmental Science in Woods Hole, MA
Fall 2023 Application Deadline: March 21st, 2023
Fall 2023: Sep 3rd – Dec 19th, 2023
About this Program
Spend your fall semester in an intensive field and laboratory-based program on ecosystem science and global change at the Ecosystems Center, Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
The program curriculum includes five courses that together earn you 17 credits towards your Allegheny degree:
- Terrestrial Ecosystems Analysis (4 credits)
- Aquatic Ecosystems Analysis (4 credits)
- Selection from one of these two:
- Mathematical Modeling of Ecological Systems (4 credits)
- Microbial Methods in Ecology (4 credits)
- Independent Research Project (4 credits)
- Science Writing Seminar (1 credit)
Housing and Student Life
SES students reside in the Brick Apartment or Brick Dorms, located on the MBL campus in the immediate area of the classroom, laboratories, library, and dining hall. The Brick Apartments and Dorms are accessed by ID cards by residents only. A short walk brings students into the heart of Woods Hole Village and to the local swimming beach, park and tennis courts.
Fees and Costs
Students pay Allegheny tuition, independent living room rate, a complete meal plan, and an off campus study fee of $300. Allegheny financial aid, except work study/campus employment, is applied to program costs. Tuition includes housing, housing, meals, international travel insurance (CHUBB), and transcript administration fees. Estimated additional costs include: airfare & local transportation (approx. $600), and personal expenses.
Allegheny students must first be approved to study off-campus before applying to their chosen program. Application deadlines are February 20 for the fall program and September 20 for the spring program. Applications will be reviewed immediately following the appropriate semester deadline. For more information about the off campus study application process, please visit: Apply