The Office of Class Deans within the Maytum Center for Student Success serves as a place for students to begin seeking assistance and answers to their questions related to college life. All students would benefit from getting to know their class dean.
You are not on this journey alone, in life or at Allegheny. Your Class Deans will be there for you every step of the way to make sure that you have the individual attention and support you need to realize your goals.
Schedule a Meeting
Students are welcome to visit our offices on the first floor of the Pelletier Library in the Maytum Center for Student Success, during drop-in times for quick questions with your Class Dean, or appointments can be scheduled online using Google Calendar. Students can also email their Class Dean directly to set up a meeting.
Interim First Year Class Dean
Second Year Class Dean / Director of Transfer Advising
Third/Fourth Year Class Dean
What We Do
- Connect students to resources and opportunities to help fulfill their educational goals.
- Provide a Dean who is dedicated to the oversight and guidance of each class year.
- Establish one-on-one relationships between the students, their class dean, and other resources on campus.
- Help students develop educational goals and complete their graduation requirements.
- Collaborate with faculty to support student success in the classroom.
- Facilitate access to academic and non-academic support services.
- Support student transitions as they navigate their undergraduate years.
- Helps students successfully complete their academic career and personal goals.
- Work with the Residential Education Office to provide holistic support in and out of the residence hall.
Ways We Support Students
We collaborate with faculty advisors and staff members from many other offices across the College to help make sure all of our students have the support they need to realize their goals.
We enjoy meeting and getting to know students throughout the year. We meet with students to discuss academic advising, personal issues, and College policies. We can provide information about College resources and make referrals as needed. And if you are experiencing any academic difficulties, we encourage you to meet with your dean.
You are invited to schedule individual appointments with your class deans to consult about various academic, personal, and social issues. These include:
- selecting courses
- identifying and structuring a major
- planning for off-campus study
- arranging for leave term opportunities
- resolving personal and family encumbrances or hardships
- maximizing the Allegheny experience (academic and co-curricular)
How Class Deans can be a Resource for Faculty
Class Deans are experts in addressing the needs of the whole student, allowing you to focus on your expertise of teaching, advising, and mentoring our students. As much as class deans are a resource for students, they are also a resource for faculty in a variety of areas:
- Address a student concern you aren’t comfortable addressing
- Help you navigate a situation you are having trouble with
- Help with those non-academic processes such as financial holds (outstanding balance), Satisfactory Academic Progress (continued eligibility for financial aid), etc.
- Outreach to family