Title: Department Chair, Professor
Research Fields of Interest: Creative Writing: Poetry
Degrees: B.A., University of Wisconsin, Madison; M.F.A., Columbia University; Ph.D., The University of Houston
Office Location: Odd Fellows 220
Office Hours: Fall 2015
Mondays & Wednesdays 11:00- 1:00; Tuesdays 12:30-1:20; Thursdays 10:00-11:00, and by appointment
Courses and Syllabi (FA ’15)
- Bakken, Christopher. Eternity & Oranges. Pitt Poetry Series. University of Pittsburgh Press. Forthcoming, 2016.
- Bakken, Christopher. Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table. University of California Press. 2013.
- Bakken, Christopher. After Greece. Truman State University Press, 2001.*
- Bakken, Christopher. Goat Funeral. Sheep Meadow Press, 2006.*
- Bakken, Christopher. Co-Translator. The Lions’ Gate: Selected Poems of Titos Patrikios. Truman State University Press, 2006.*
Poetry, essays, and translations recently published or forthcoming in The Paris Review, Literary Imagination, The Gettysburg Review, Southwest Review, The Hudson Review, Ploughshares,* Agni, Verse Daily, and elsewhere. Essays and reviews published or forthcoming in Parnassus: Poetry in Review, The Wall Street Journal, Contemporary Poetry Review, The Gettysburg Review, Teachers & Writers Magazine, and elsewhere.
Selected Conference Papers and Readings
- Gilbert Lecture Series. Southern Methodist University. October, 2010
- PEN World Voices Festival, New York. May, 2009.
- “The National Undergraduate Literary Magazine: Quality, Visibility, and Stability.” AWP Conference. Chicago. (February, 2009)
- “Editing the Wide-Scope Anthology: A Panel of New European Poets Editors.” ALTA (American Literary Translators Association) Conference. Minneapolis. (October, 2008)
- The Writers Union of Romania International Writers’ Festival and Colloquium 2008. Neptun, Romania. (June, 2008)
- University of Transylvania: Brasov, Romania. (April, 2008)
- Associated Writing Program conference (reading with John Ashbery & Stanley Moss). New York. (February, 2008)
- Whittier College (with Bob Hicok and Alan Michael Parker). (March, 2007)
- “The Ironic Structure.” Panel presentation. Associated Writing Programs Conference. Atlanta. (March, 2007)
- Oberlin College. Main Street Reading Series. Featured reader. (October, 2005).
- Hellenic American Union, Athens, Greece. A Celebration of After Greece (in Greek translation), with Titos Patrikios, Aliki Barnstone & Roula Konsolaki. (October, 2005)
- “Rage for Order: How Poetry Confronts Disaster.” International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities. University of the Aegean, Rhodes, Greece. (July, 2003)
- Middlebury College, Ross Commons Featured Reader. (January, 2003)
- McGinnis Richie Award for Nonfiction, Essay. Southwest Review. (2011)
- Texas Institute of Letters | Helen C. Smith Memorial Award for Best Book of Poetry for 2006 (for Goat Funeral): Winner. (2007)
- Texas Institute of Letters | Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation of a Book for 2006 (for The Lions’ Gate): Finalist. (2007)
- Fulbright Fellowship in American Studies | University of Bucharest, Romania. (2007)
- Willis Barnstone Translation Prize. (2005)
- International Writers’ and Translators’ Center of Rhodes: Residency. (2004)
- The T.S. Eliot Prize for Poetry | Truman State University Press. (2001)
- Chef on a Shoestring |CBS Saturday Morning Early Show. (2001)
Recent Faculty News
Christopher Bakken discusses his poem “Confession,” at The Missouri Review http://www.missourireview.com/archives/christopher-bakken-confession/
Christopher Bakken’s Honey, Olives, Octopus reviewed in the Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324020504578396493499646144