Title: Associate Professor and Director of Writing
Research Fields of Interest: Civic Rhetoric, Computers and Writing, Undergraduate Research, Veteran Studies
Degrees: B.A., The University of Rochester; Ph.D., The University of Georgia
Phone: (814) 332-6296
Office Location: Odd Fellows 231
Office Hours: Fall 2018
- Editor. How to Start an Undergraduate Research Journal. Council on Undergraduate Research (2012).
- With Christy Desmet and Deborah Church Miller. Prentice Hall Literature Portfolio. Pearson/Prentice Hall (2007).
Chapters in books
- With Mariana Grohowski, “Leveraging the Power of the Web for Work: Female Veterans’ Online Efforts to Combat Unemployment.” Women, Work, and the Web: How the Web Creates Entrepreneurial Opportunities. Ed. Carol Smallwood. (2015).
- With Sean Morrow. “Veterans in College Writing Classes: Understanding and Embracing the MutualBenefit.” Generation Vet: Composition Studies, Veterans, and the Post-9/11 University. Ed. Sue Doe and Lisa Langstraat. (2014).
- “Undergraduate Research Journals: Why and How?” How to Start an Undergraduate Research Journal. Ed. D. Alexis Hart. Council on Undergraduate Research (2012). With Ron Balthazor, Christy Desmet, Sara Steger, and Robin Wharton.
- “<emma>: An Electronic Writing Space.” Designing Web-based Applications for 21st Century Writing Classrooms. Ed. George Pullman and Baotong Gu. Baywood Publishing (2012).
- “Teaching Citizen Soldiers: Civic Rhetoric and the Intersections of Theory and Practice at the Virginia Military Institute.” Military Culture and Education. Ed. Douglas Higbee. Ashgate Press (2011).
- With Christy Desmet, Robert Cummings, and William Findlay.“Performing the Personal in On-Line Writing Classes.” Role Play: Distance Learning and the Teaching of Writing. Ed. Jonathan Alexander and Marcia Dickson. Hampton Press (2006).
- With Roger Thompson. “Veterans in the Writing Classroom: Three Programmatic Approaches to Facilitate the Transition from the Military to Higher Education.” College Composition and Communication. (December 2016) Winner of the Richard Braddock Memorial Award 2017
- With Roger Thompson. “Guest Editors’ Introduction: Veterans’ Voices.” Roundtable in Pedagogy 16.3. (Fall 2016).
- With Lindsay Sabatino. “Continuing the Conversation: From Conference Presentation to Publication.” The Peer Review: A Journal for Writing Center Practitioners, Issue Zero. (Fall 2015).
- With Roger Thompson. “War, Trauma, and the Writing Classroom.” Writing on the Edge 23.2 (Spring 2013).
- “Inquiring Communally, Acting Collectively: The Community Literacy of the Academy Women eMentor Portal and Facebook Group.” Community Literacy Journal: Special Issue on digital technologies and community literacy. Ed. Melody Bowdon and Russell Carpenter. (Fall 2011).
- “Keys to a Professional and Profitable Regional Undergraduate Research Conference: The BigSURS at VMI.” CUR Quarterly 32.4 (Summer 2012).
- With Roger Thompson. “”An Ethical Obligation’: Promising Practices for Student Veterans in College Writing Classes.” NCTE/CCCC. June 2013. <http://www.ncte.org/library/NCTEFiles/Groups/CCCC/AnEthicalObligation.pdf>.
- Richard Braddock Memorial Award 2017: presented to the author(s) of the outstanding article on writing or the teaching of writing in the CCCC journal, College Composition and Communication (CCC) during the year ending December 31 before the annual CCCC Convention.
- Selected participant, National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Institute: “Veterans in Society: Ambiguities and Representations” (2016)
- Competitively Selected Participant, Inaugural Dartmouth Summer Seminar for Composition Research (August 2011)
- CCCC’s Research Initiative Grant, $10,000, maximum award, 1 of 3 grants funded out of 36 applications (2011)
- University of Georgia Excellence in Teaching Award (2003)
- Kairos/Lore TA/Adjunct Award For Excellence in Teaching Writing with Computers (2002)