Title: Professor of English
Research Fields of Interest: Creative Writing: Poetry, Nonfiction
Degrees: B.A., University of Wisconsin, Madison; M.F.A., Columbia University; Ph.D., The University of Houston
Office Location: Odd Fellows 220
Office Hours (Fall ’23): Mondays & Wednesdays 9:00-10:45am; Tuesdays & Thursdays 12:30-2:00pm
Courses (Fall ’23)
ENGL 111 – Literature and the Arts
ENGL 206 – Writing Poetry
ENGL 406 – Advanced Workshop in Poetry
- Bakken, Christopher. Eternity & Oranges. Pitt Poetry Series. University of Pittsburgh Press. 2016.
- Bakken, Christopher. Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table. University of California Press. 2013.
- Bakken, Christopher. After Greece. Truman State University Press, 2001.
- Bakken, Christopher. Goat Funeral. Sheep Meadow Press, 2006.
- Bakken, Christopher. Co-Translator. The Lions’ Gate: Selected Poems of Titos Patrikios. Truman State University Press, 2006.
Journals, Anthologies, & Textbooks
- Poetry, essays, and translations recently published or forthcoming in The Paris Review, The Southern Review, The Gettysburg Review, Southwest Review, The Hudson Review, Orion, Ploughshares, Agni, The Iowa Review, Parnassus: Poetry in Review, The Wall Street Journal, Contemporary Poetry Review, The Gettysburg Review, Teachers & Writers Magazine, and elsewhere.
- Anthologies and textbooks: The Eloquent Poem; New European Poetry (editor for Greece and Cyprus); Kindled Terraces: American Poets in Greece, Under the Rock Umbrella: Contemporary American Poetry from 1951-1977, Structure and Surprise: Engaging Poetic Turns; and Writing Poetry: Creative and Critical Approaches.
Selected Conference Papers and Readings
- International Literary Festival: Tinos, Greece. Featured Presenter. July, 2022
- “Notes from a Hellenized Barbarian: Cavafy, Karyotakis, Ristos, Patrikios.” Problematics Seminar. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. December, 2021.
- 7th World Poetry Festival. Athens, Greece. 2021
- Stadler Poetry Center, Bucknell University, 2019
- Carleton College. “A Hellenized Barbarian Raids the Greek Table.” February, 2019.
- “Taking Stock and Talking Back.” Invited Talk for “Why Read? The Role of the Book in the 21st Century.” Symposium sponsored by the Hellenic Author’s Society. Athens, Greece. October, 2018.
- Featured Presenter. Patrick Leigh Fermor: To Greece with Love. University of Copenhagen. January, 2018.
- Special Session: “Writing “Greece”: Contemporary Writing From, To, and About the Hellenic Space.” Modern Greek Studies Association Symposium. Stockton University, November, 2017.
- “Greece in Writing: Christopher Bakken & Natalie Bakopoulos.” Special Session of the Modern Greek Studies Association Symposium. Bloomington, IN. November 2013.
- PEN World Voices Festival, New York. May, 2009.
- “The National Undergraduate Literary Magazine: Quality, Visibility, and Stability.” AWP Conference. Chicago. (February, 2009)
- “Editing the Wide-Scope Anthology: A Panel of New European Poets Editors.” ALTA (American Literary Translators Association) Conference. Minneapolis. (October, 2008)
- The Writers Union of Romania International Writers’ Festival and Colloquium 2008. Neptun, Romania. (June, 2008)
- University of Transylvania: Brasov, Romania. (April, 2008)
- Associated Writing Program conference (reading with John Ashbery & Stanley Moss). New York. (February, 2008)
- Whittier College (with Bob Hicok and Alan Michael Parker). (March, 2007)
- “The Ironic Structure.” Panel presentation. Associated Writing Programs Conference. Atlanta. (March, 2007)
- Fulbright Scholar | Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (2021-22)
- Collins Prize for “Theology at Black Earth Creek,” Birmingham Poetry Review (2020)
- Finalist UNT Rilke Prize, 2018
- McGinnis Richie Award for Nonfiction, Essay. Southwest Review. (2011)
- Texas Institute of Letters | Helen C. Smith Memorial Award for Best Book of Poetry for 2006 (for Goat Funeral): Winner. (2007)
- Texas Institute of Letters | Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation of a Book for 2006 (for The Lions’ Gate): Finalist. (2007)
- Fulbright Fellowship in American Studies | University of Bucharest, Romania. (2007)
- Willis Barnstone Translation Prize. (2005)
- International Writers’ and Translators’ Center of Rhodes: Residency. (2004)
- The T.S. Eliot Prize for Poetry | Truman State University Press. (2001)
- Chef on a Shoestring |CBS Saturday Morning Early Show. (2001)
Recent Faculty News & Publications:
Bakken’s poem “Driving the Beast” at Academy of American Poets: https://poets.org/poem/
Bakken’s poem “Lesvos” at Academy of American Poet: https://poets.org/poem/lesvos
Bakken’s poem “Goat Theology” at Plume Poetry. https://plumepoetry.com/19783-
Bakken’s poem “Exile in a Thrift Store Landscape” at Blackbird: https://blackbird.vcu.edu/
Christopher Bakken discusses his poem “Confession,” at The Missouri Review https://www.missourireview.com/archives/christopher-bakken-confession/
Christopher Bakken’s Honey, Olives, Octopus reviewed in the Wall Street Journal:
An Interview with Christopher Bakken at Huff Post: