Department Highlights

What we offer…

• Small classes, all taught exclusively in the target language
  • Native or near-native fluency among all faculty
  • International, native-speaker Teaching Assistants who host language labs and tutoring sessions and help develop special cultural events and programs
  • Extensive opportunities for extracurricular learning, including language houses, language tables and coffee hours, and an international film festival
  • Fully supported Senior Projects that prove to employers and graduate schools the ability to complete a major original assignment

What you’ll learn…

• An understanding and appreciation of international cultures
  • Critical thinking, analytical, and research skills
  • Enhanced language skills (reading, writing, speaking)
  • Proficiency in another language
  • Global awareness

What people are saying…

• “The modern languages department at Allegheny College sets an impressive standard of teaching excellence and commitment. It offers a program that rates among the best we have seen.” — Outside evaluation team
  • “I want you and the other professors to know how grateful I am for your guidance. [You] taught me how to think creatively…I have been able to apply these skills to the ‘real world.’” — 1987 alumnus
  • “The Allegheny in Cologne program was the best experience of my life. I wish I could do it again.” — Alumnus 
  • “In the French House, my housemates and I lived with a native French Teaching Assistant who encouraged us to only speak French on a daily basis within the house. Living in a sociable, francophone atmosphere around the clock for a whole year allowed me to build my French fluency by leaps and bounds.” — 2016 alumnus