CBE Fellow Zula Stenger Travels to Sweden for a distinctive Summer Experience

Zula Stenger '25
Zula Stenger ’25

Zula Stenger ’25 is pursuing a major in business with a focus in marketing and double minors in political science and studio art.  Inspired by Rebecca Oliver, Professor of Political Science along with her studies in Business and Economics, Zula travelled abroad to Sweden to an inclusive experience that combines classroom work with research and  field study. We asked Zula:

How did you discover your summer experience?

I always knew I wanted to spend time abroad during my college career, which prompted me to join Global Citizen Scholars. This cohort program encourages students to take a global approach to learning, and helps students to pay for time abroad. After taking a course in political science with Professor Oliver on welfare states, I developed a keen interest in learning more about welfare systems, and how welfare policies can impact the economy.

For my senior comp, I plan to conduct a comparative study on Sweden and the US to determine if generous welfare policies, particularly regarding child care, have acted as a stabilizing force for the Swedish economy in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Given my research interests, I felt it would be hypocritical to study without firsthand experience of life in Sweden. Therefore, at the beginning of the spring 2023 semester, I embarked on a search for any possible means to visit Sweden. After conducting some research, I came across DIS, a non-profit study abroad foundation. DIS offers semester, academic year, and summer programs taught in English featuring a broad curriculum enriched by experiential learning components. DIS appeared to be the perfect opportunity for me to engage meaningfully with Swedish culture and facilitate personal growth both as a scholar and an individual.

What were your activities during this experience?

During my summer with DIS, I am enrolled in two courses that I believe will satisfy requirements for my major and minor fields of study. The first course  that I took was “Storytelling through Photography,” and the second course, “Comparative Economics: Global Risk and European Responsiveness,” both span a duration of three weeks, with three hours of class time each day from Monday to Friday.

Storytelling through Photography

In my photography class, the professor prioritized providing us with firsthand experiences, moving beyond the mere technical focus often found in introductory classes. We had the opportunity to visit various museums, with my favorite being Fotografiska, Stockholm’s photography museum. This experience allowed us to practice interpreting and critiquing art. Our assignments involved creating a portrait series that emphasized finding meaning through expression and framing. Moreover, this class allowed me to engage with Swedish individuals, using photography as a medium to better understand them.

Comparative Economics

My second course, Comparative Economics, aligns perfectly with my research interests. It has been an exceptional learning experience, delving into the factors that shape a nation’s response to crises. We examine economic systems, resource allocation processes, forms of government, policies and regulations (and their beneficiaries), market organization, trade agreements, alliances, and developmental capabilities. This course highlights the significance of studying comparative economics and its role in comprehending and navigating the complexities of the economy.

Study Tour to Greece

During the course, we had the remarkable opportunity to embark on a study tour to Greece, led by our Greek professor. This trip provided a firsthand view of the effects of the Greek crisis and the resulting socio-economic landscape. We had the privilege to meet and interact with various individuals, including a farmer, a businessman, a doctor, and a board member of the Hellenic Financial Stability Fund. Such encounters added depth to our understanding of the Greek situation and broadened our perspectives on real-world economic challenges.

Would you recommend this experience to other students?

The learning opportunities I have encountered have surpassed all my expectations. The DIS program offers a diverse selection of fields to study and provides flexible options that cater to individual preferences. I wholeheartedly recommend Stockholm and this program to anyone interested in studying abroad. Additionally, for those, like myself, who prefer not to be away for an entire semester, the summer program proves to be an excellent choice.

What other activities are you involved in on campus?

In the upcoming fall semester, I am honored to have been selected as the Head Resident Assistant (RA) of Shultz Hall on campus. Additionally, I will be serving as a Fellow for the Business and Economics Department, which marks my first semester in this role. I am excited to continue my involvement with the Women in Business and Economics Club as the President. I also aspire to revitalize the College Democrats organization, encouraging students to actively engage in local politics. Furthermore, I am eager to maintain my personal connections with the city government and contribute to the upcoming fall city council election.

The Bruce R. Thompson Center for Business and Economics (CBE) prepares Allegheny College students to succeed in a diverse, global economy.