All students are required to carry adequate health insurance that can be used in the Meadville area. Contact your insurance carrier to verify coverage locations.
Health Insurance Facts
- The Affordable Care Act (ACA) mandates that unless you qualify for a health coverage exemption, all US citizens must carry adequate health insurance or pay an income penalty.
- Allegheny students can seek basic care at the Winslow Health Center. However, students will need adequate health insurance for any possible hospital visits, physical therapy, laboratory work, or other services off campus.
- The Affordable Care Act mandates that health insurance coverage has a term of one year minimum unless there is a qualifying event that triggers a special enrollment period.
- Medicaid from any state other than Pennsylvania is not covered in Meadville.
More information can be found at: healthcare.gov | irs.gov | supremecourt.gov
Health Insurance Options
- Students under the age of 26 can be covered on their parent’s insurance plan.
- Students can purchase coverage on the Market Place.
- Students can purchase United Health Care Coverage. The United Health Care plan:
- Meets the ACA criteria for adequate insurance.
- Is accepted by most local health facilities.
- Does not provide 100% coverage. The student will be responsible of some of the costs.
- Read more about student United Health Care Plan
Insurance Coverage and Fee
United Healthcare Student Insurance: Allegheny enrolls and pays the premium for students who do not decline coverage. That premium is added as an insurance fee on each student billing statement.
- To decline coverage and remove fee: Log into your Self Service account and select User Options then Agreements. Complete the form and submit. Deadline for submission is August 31 of each academic year.
- If you declined coverage and have since lost coverage under your original plan due to a qualifying life event (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job), this will trigger a special enrollment period. Proof of loss of coverage, the enrollment form and full payment in the form of check or money order must be provided within 30 days of losing coverage. After 30 days, the student will no longer be eligible to enroll until Fall of the following school year.
- Allegheny officially submits students for coverage to United Healthcare for a one year term (August 15, 20xx to August 14, 20xx) on September 1, therefore coverage cannot be declined after the August 31 deadline. If you do not decline the coverage by August 31 you will be responsible for payment.
- The Student Insurance Agreement must be completed each year. Declining insurance for one year does not carry over to subsequent years.
We recommend that students bring their current health insurance card to campus.