It is the policy of Allegheny College to provide a safe and healthy environment, free from recognized hazards that may cause serious injury to students, employees, and visitors. This is accomplished by maintaining a comprehensive safety, health, and environmental program that involves all College employees.
Allegheny College will conduct all of its activities in compliance with applicable standards, codes, regulations, and laws. Each and every person at the institution understands that safety is not an additional job responsibility, it is an integral part of every task. If any function is not being performed safely, it must be stopped and altered so that it can be performed safely. In carrying out its responsibility for, and commitment to, providing a safe and healthy environment, the college has established a Safety Committee to develop policies and procedures to accomplish the goal of a safe and healthy environment.
Each member of the College community will abide by established safety policies and procedures. It is the intent of the College to accomplish this goal
through six major initiatives:
- Promoting safety awareness throughout the college.
- Organizing and /or providing safety training programs for employees and students.
- Assisting in safety inspections of buildings, grounds, and work sites on a periodic basis as dictated by our inspection program.
- Promptly reviewing all safety-related incidents, injuries, accidents and illnesses. Including investigation, recommending appropriate corrective action, follow-up and compliance.
- Periodic evaluation of Safety Committee by-laws, structure and operations, and recommending any changes.
- Coordinating with other departments to monitor completion and compliance of all training and inspections as well as an overall awareness of safety on campus to meet these objectives as a unified college body.
Allegheny College believes that its most valuable resources are the people who teach, learn and work at this institution, and will do all that is reasonable to protect it.
Like other Allegheny College management functions, safety must be effectively managed to obtain the desired results. Necessary planning, organizing, leading and controlling are required management actions. Since no one person can get the job done alone, this site outlines safety responsibilities for all Allegheny College personnel.
Safety Committee Members
The committee members will be selected based on their knowledge and willingness to serve. The Safety Committee will be composed of representatives for the following departments:
Jim Cessna, (Chair) Contracted Safety Liaison, Enviromental Products and Services of Vermont
Buck Baldwin, (Vice-Chair) Contracted Safety Liaison, Envirothink Inc.
Luke Hingl, Physical Plant
Jared Luteran, Athletics
Cliff Willis, Art/Theater
Leslie Evanoff, Human Resources (consultant)
Ivelitza Garcia, Science Labs (consultant)
Lynn McManness-Harlan, Admin/Aux (alternate)
Doug Merchbaker, Public Safety (consultant)
Maureen Muckinhaupt, Residence Life (alternate)
Jason Ramsey, LITS (consultant)
Linda Wetsell, Admin/Aux (alternate)