For FS 101 and FS 102 descriptions, please see instead the guidelines for FS Course descriptions.
For all other course descriptions, please use the guidelines below:
- Use 100 words or fewer.
- Write in the present tense (e.g., “Students investigate…,” not “Students will investigate…”).
- Begin the description with a sentence fragment (e.g., “A study of…”)
- Do not include instructor names.
- Use the word “course” sparingly.
- Avoid rhetorical questions
- Avoid discipline-specific jargon or specialized terms unlikely to be understood by potential students.
- Provide a concise yet comprehensive summary of the course content.
- Do not include syllabus-level information likely to change over time (e.g., specific texts, software packages, field trips. etc.)
- Do include information about instructional formats other than lecture/discussion (lab, field work, etc.)