Please use this link to submit petitions to Dean’s Exemption Committee. See below for details.
It is extremely important that you provide the Committee with full and complete information about your request — depending on the nature of the request, this could include course number and section, number of credits, semester, etc. If your request does not include full and complete information, it may be rejected or may take additional time to consider.
Petitions for exemption from academic requirements, e.g., the Add deadline or the residency requirement, are considered by the Dean’s Exemption Committee. The Committee is made up of faculty from the Academic Standards and Awards Committee; the Dean of Students; and a representative of the Provost and Dean of the College. The decisions of the committee are individual and are not considered as establishing precedent.
Please be aware that this process is not “automatic” – some requests are denied. The Committee considers each petition on a case-by-case basis.
Petitions for a waiver of regulations are generally not approved if the request can be met via an already established mechanism. Petitions are also generally not approved without evidence of extenuating circumstances.
Common requests to the Committee include requests for a waiver of deadlines or for a waiver of the residency requirement. You should educate yourself about the appropriate deadlines (e.g., the Add/Drop deadline and the deadline for a Student-Initiated Withdrawal) and not miss them. You should also be aware that Allegheny College requires that the final 16 credits towards a student’s graduation requirements be taken “in residence,” i.e., through enrollment at Allegheny (students need not be physically present on campus to be “in residence” in terms of enrollment). If you hope to transfer in credits to complete your degree requirements, you will need the permission of the Dean’s Exemption Committee.
To request an exemption:
- Write a letter addressed to the Dean’s Exemption Committee that explains:
- The requirement or policy you are asking to be exempted from;
- The reason you did not or will not meet the requirement (e.g., why you missed the Add deadline);
- Any other pertinent information that will help the Committee to understand the circumstances of your request.
- Alert your academic advisor that they will be asked to write a letter supporting your request. The Committee cannot consider requests without advisor approval.
- Alert your course instructor that they will be asked to write a letter of support if you are requesting to Add or Drop a course after the deadline. The Committee cannot approve requests to Add or Drop a class without permission from the instructor.
It is the responsibility of the student requesting a waiver to submit their letter as a single PDF file via this link. You can save Word or other files as a PDF or else scan a copy of a letter as a PDF.
Submission of the student letter will trigger a request to the academic advisor (and course instructor if appropriate) to provide a letter of support.
If you have questions, please e-mail email@example.com or call 814-332-2357.