FAQ – Transfer Student

1. I am currently taking classes that I want to transfer to Allegheny. Where should I request that my transcript be sent when I’m done?
  2. How many of my transfer credits will Allegheny College accept?
  3. How many credits will I need to complete at Allegheny College in order to graduate?
  4. When will I register for classes?
  5. How will my transfer credit apply to my degree?
  6. I have transfer credit that doesn’t automatically satisfy a Distribution Requirement, but I think it might qualify. What can I do?
  7. I have transfer credit that doesn’t automatically satisfy a major or minor requirement, but I think it might qualify. What can I do?
  8. When can I declare my major(s) and minor(s)?
  9. How long will it take for me to finish my degree at Allegheny College?
  10. How will my campus housing be determined?
  11. Who is my Class Dean and what do they do?
  12. I took language courses at my previous school, and I want to continue in the same language at Allegheny. How do I figure out what level I should register for?

Once you have completed your classes and have received final grades, submit a request to the institution you attended for an official transcript to be sent to the Allegheny Registrar by electronic delivery via email to registrar@allegheny.edu. Alternatively, you may request that it be sent by mail to: Office of the Registrar, Box 41, Allegheny College, 520 N Main St, Meadville, PA 16335. 

The maximum number of credits Allegheny will accept is 64, which is 50% of the 128 credits required for graduation.

You will need to complete 64 credits at Allegheny College in order to graduate from Allegheny. Keep in mind that most study away credits earned while an Allegheny student are considered transfer credit and do not count toward the 64 credit requirement.

4. When will I register for classes?

If you are a fall admit, you will register for classes in June. If you are a spring admit, you will register for classes in January. The Director of Transfer Advising will support you in real time during an individual course registration session. Be attentive to your Allegheny email for further details about course registration.

5. How will my transfer credit apply toward my degree?

If a class you took at your previous institution is determined to be equivalent to an Allegheny class, it will appear on your transcript as such (e.g. MATH 151) and will count toward your degree in all the ways the class would count if taken through Allegheny. 

If a class does not have an exact Allegheny equivalent it will appear on your transcript as an elective (signified by ELECT, 0TE, 1TE, 2TE, 3TE, or 4TE), as displayed in the chart below:

Course Description
ELECT*CMP College Elective Computer Science
ENGL*0TE English Elective
FRNCH*1TE French Elective 100-Level
HIST*2TE History  Elective 200-Level
MATH*3TE Mathematics Elective 300-Level
WGSS*4TE Womn Gen Sex Elective 400-Level

Any course coming in as ELECT DEP does not automatically count towards a major, minor, or distribution requirement.  It only counts towards the 128 credits needed to graduate. For information about how to seek approval for elective credits to apply toward a distribution, major, or minor requirement, see questions 5 and 6 below. 

First, be sure to consult the learning outcomes of the Allegheny distribution requirements. If there appears to be alignment between those and the learning outcomes of the class you took at your previous institution, you may submit a request to substitute an ineligible course for a distribution requirement to the Curriculum Committee. It is highly advisable that you attach a syllabus with learning outcomes for the course to your request. If your request is approved and the class was three credits, the fourth credit of the Allegheny distribution requirement will be waived, although you will still need to meet the 128 credit requirement for graduation. 

Once you have declared your major and minor, you can discuss this with your advisor(s) for your major(s) or department chair for the minor. Based on further review of the class content, they may approve it to apply to a major or minor requirement. Your academic advisor for the major or department chair for the minor can email the Registrar’s office with the approved substitution and then the Registrar can make the adjustment in your “My Progress” in your self-service to reflect this approval. The designation applied to the course does not change (e.g., HIST*1TE), but the way the course is applied to your major / minor requirements can.

If you are certain of your path, you may declare your major(s) and minor(s) during your first semester at Allegheny. If you aren’t sure what you want to declare or have some interests but don’t know where to start, reach out to your faculty advisor or the Director of Transfer Advising, Amy Stearns, at astearns@allegheny.edu.

This will depend on the applicability of prior coursework to your Allegheny degree. When meeting with the Director of Transfer Advising, you will discuss your possible major and minor as well as a tentative timeline. You will also be invited to meet with the Director of Transfer Advising near the conclusion of your first semester so that you can revisit and revise your plan as needed. Every effort will be made to provide you with the information and resources you need to develop a timely degree plan. Keep in mind that regardless of how many credits you completed prior to attending Allegheny, you will need to earn at least 64 credits at Allegheny and 128 credits in total in order to graduate. 

Your campus housing will be based primarily on whether you identify as a first, second, or third-year student. This class identification will be mutually determined between you and the Director of Transfer Advising prior to your first semester at Allegheny. If you feel that you need special consideration in your housing assignment due to a disability, please submit a housing accommodation request

Initially, you will work with the Second-Year Class Dean and Director of Transfer Advising while you make the transition to Allegheny. After you are settled at Allegheny, and if you identify as a third or fourth-year student, you will begin working with the Third & Fourth Year Class Dean. Class Deans provide academic, wellness, and personal support, as well as provide class-based programming. Read more about what Class Deans do to learn more! 

You should take a foreign language placement exam before registering for a language in which you have had previous coursework or significant exposure. This is required for all students who wish to continue taking language courses. You can find more details about language placement online, and you can follow these instructions to register for a French, German, or Spanish placement exam.