Curriculum Committee Deadlines for 2017-18
For Fall, 2018 courses:
- FS 201 descriptions: January 24
- New permanent courses (to be listed in the Academic Bulletin): January 24
- FS 101 descriptions: January 24
- New Special Topics course descriptions: January 24
- Re-descriptions (including retitling or renumbering) of existing courses: January 24
Programs (Majors and Minors): proposals due November 8, 2017, for changes to take effect 2018-19
To make changes to an existing major or minor, or to add a new program to the curriculum, please send the proposal to the Chair of the Curriculum Committee as a complete package. There is no specific form or format for proposals, but please include:
- a rationale for the new program or program changes. Include supporting data where applicable.
- a complete list of the program requirements (including, for existing programs, a description of the changes proposed)
- any course additions, re-numberings, re-descriptions, or deletions associated with the program change/addition (i.e, please do not use the forms below to submit all the course changes associated with a program change; instead, please include them with the complete package. Please keep the guidelines for course descriptions in mind when adding or revising course descriptions related to a program change.
- a consideration of how course and program changes will affect other programs and, if applicable, a description of the process used to inform and consult with those programs.
Use the forms below to submit changes to course offerings that are not part of a larger revision to the major or minor. Please keep in mind that only permanent courses (i.e., not FS or Special Topics courses) may count for the new Distribution Requirement that will go into effect in Fall 2016. In addition, the Distribution Requirement tags on a course cannot be changed once they have been approved. Please only assign tags that you expect to continue to apply through future iterations of the course.
FS 101. Please use this form to let the Curriculum Committee know the topic of an FS 101 that you are scheduled to teach.. If you are simply repeating an FS*101 that you have taught in the past, please so indicate on the form. If this is a new FS 101, you will be asked to enter the course description; please consult the guidelines for FS descriptions when designing your course. The deadline for submitting FS 101 information for Fall, 2018, is January 24, 2018.
FS 102. Please use this form to let the Curriculum Committee know the topic of an FS 102 that you are scheduled to teach. If you are simply repeating an FS*102 that you have taught in the past, please so indicate on the form. If this is a new FS 102, you will be asked to enter the course description; please consult the guidelines for FS descriptions when designing your course. The deadline for submitting FS 102 information for Spring, 2018 is October 4, 2017.
FS 201. Please use this form to let the Curriculum Committee know the topic of an FS 201 that you are scheduled to teach. If you are simply repeating an FS 201 that you have taught in the past, please so indicate on the form. If this is a new FS 201, you will be asked to enter the course description. Note that FS 201’s with specific descriptions that are published in the Academic Bulletin and do not vary between instructors (e.g., FSBIO) do not need to be re-submitted every year. However, for programs in which different instructors teach different FS 201’s, please submit the form for each FS 201 course to be offered. The deadline to submit an FS 201 description for Fall, 2018, is January 24, 2018.
New Course. These are permanent additions to the curriculum that will be published in the next Academic Bulletin if approved. When submitting a new course, please keep the general guidelines for writing course descriptions in mind. Please also consider the following when deciding what Distribution Requirements “tags” to assign to a course:
- Learning Outcomes for the Distribution Requirements
- Additional Curriculum Committee guidance on tagging courses for the Distribution Requirements
Please keep in mind that, once assigned, the Distribution Requirements assigned to a course cannot be changed. If different instructors or sections of the course are likely to emphasize different material or methodologies, please assign tags that apply to all sections of the course.
Please use this form to submit new course descriptions to the Curriculum Committee. The deadline to submit new courses for the 2018-19 academic year is January 24, 2018.
Short Course. These are courses of less than seven week’s duration. They are typically offered to take advantage of a one- or two-week campus residence by a visiting scholar. When preparing a proposal for a short course, please review the guidelines for short courses, then use this form to submit the proposal.
Special Topics Course (190’s, 290’s, 390’s, and 490’s). These are courses that will be offered only once or twice. Typical uses for Special Topics courses are courses under development and courses taught by visiting faculty in their areas of expertise. In November 2013, the faculty voted the following procedure for approval of these classes: that “faculty be able to teach any approved special topics course a second time within a three-year period on the current, FYI basis. Only if a course is to be repeated for a third time, or to be repeated outside the three-year window, would a Faculty vote be requested.”
Please consult the guidelines for course descriptions when preparing the course for submission.
- If this is the FIRST time you have proposed this course, please use this form to send the Special Topics course description to the Curriculum Committee.
- If this course will be a REPEAT of a previous Special Topics course, please use this form to send the course description to the Curriculum Committee.
The deadline to submit a Special Topics course description for Fall, 2018, is January 24, 2018. Please note that Special Topics cannot be used to satisfy the college Distribution Requirements for students who matriculate in Fall 2016 or later.
Course Revision. Please use this form to apply to retitle, re-describe, and or re/number an existing course. This form is needed only for courses published annually in the Academic Bulletin (i.e., to revise an FS*101 or FS*102, just use the form for that course). The deadline to revise a course for the 2017-18 academic year is January 24, 2018. Please keep in mind that the Distribution Requirement “tags” cannot be changed for an existing course. If a course has changed to the extent that it no longer satisfies the Learning Outcomes for its current Distribution Requirements, the course should be deleted and a new course created.
Course Deletion. Please use this form to remove a course that is listed in the current Academic Bulletin. It is not necessary go through the drop process for Special Topics, FS 101, or FS 102 courses, as these are not added to the permanent curriculum in the first place.